As Missoula community leaders move forward with economic development strategies and Missoula Mayor John Engen’s Best Place Project, several downtown business owners offer the following advice to help make the city center even more inviting and economically vital:
- Open up a larger percentage of the reserved and leased parking spaces to the public.
- Put up more signs so tourists know where to find the public parking garages.
- Make state property owners accountable for unsightly, neglected, in need-of-repair retail and office buildings they own.
- Encourage landlords to lower lease agreements to attract new businesses and fill vacant retail space.
- Consciously recruit more retail shopping in downtown to offset the many restaurants and bars, and the many government and private business offices.