Here is the Missoula Fire Sciences Laboratory rededication schedule for Saturday. All events take place in or around the Fire Sciences Lab, just west of Missoula International Airport. Food vendors will be available from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- 10-11 a.m.: Formal rededication ceremony, with presentations by U.S. Forest Service Fire and Aviation Management Director Tom Harbour, University of Montana Dean of Forestry College Perry Brown, Missoula Mayor John Engen and others.
- 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.: Formal presentations, including fire behavior modeling, fuel treatments, wildland fire effects, residential destruction during extreme wildlfires, fire and climate and the role of fire in changing climates.
- 11:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m.: 45-minute field tours, including “From Green to Mean” field site, tour of the Missoula Technology and Development Center and model demonstration of the Mann Gulch forest fire tragedy.
- 11:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m.: Open house venues ongoing through the day, including historic display of fire lab photos, 50th anniversary commemorative quilt, tours of fire lab control room and wind tunnel, Montana Native Plant Garden, Smokejumper Visitor Center, and exhibits by numerous Fire Lab academic partners.
- 11:30a.m.-2:30 p.m.: Demonstrations and hands-on activities, including fire behavior lab experiments, fire myth-busters, Pikunii (Blackfeet) tribal fire practices, matchstick forest fire behavior demonstration, weather measurements, LIDAR technology for smoke-tracking and fuel-burning demonstrations.
- 2:45-3 p.m.: Closing ceremony with music by the Black Mountain Boys.