Affidavit: Dixon murder suspect stabbed man 54 times

2012-12-18T11:30:00Z 2013-11-05T13:49:33Z Affidavit: Dixon murder suspect stabbed man 54 timesBy JENNA CEDERBERG of the Missoulian missoulian.com
December 18, 2012 11:30 am  •

The suspect in a grisly Dixon home invasion and murder was found outside the residence with a bloody hunting knife and a bloody rifle that had broken as he repeatedly beat one victim “because he would not die.”

Court documents released Monday revealed the horrible details of a random, drug-fueled rampage that allegedly led Nathan Lee William Calvert to enter Doug and Cheryl Morigeau’s home outside Dixon on the night of Dec. 6.

Doug Morigeau was killed in the brutal and unprovoked attack. His wife was severely injured after Calvert cut her throat, according to the affidavit filed by Sanders County Attorney Robert Zimmerman.

Calvert, a violent offender from Missoula, remained in custody Monday at the Sanders County jail in Thompson Falls on $1 million bail. Prosecutors have transferred the case to Sanders County District Court, and Calvert has been appointed a public defender.

Calvert is charged with deliberate homicide, attempted deliberate homicide, aggravated burglary and robbery in connection with the incident, which according to Zimmerman’s affidavit began after Calvert left his sister-in-law’s home near Dixon, having smoked synthetic marijuana – or “spice” – that he rolled in pages from a Bible for “one and a half or two weeks almost constantly.”

Doug Morigeau, a former boxer, was stabbed at least 54 times as he attempted to fight off Calvert in the living room of the Morigeau home, court documents said.

Both revered staff members at Two Eagle River School in Pablo, Doug and Cheryl had finished dinner and were watching TV when Calvert “came barreling into the residence.” Calvert immediately started fighting Doug, court documents said.

Cheryl told authorities she first thought Calvert was punching Doug.

“Cheryl was asking what the intruder wanted and at that point he got off Doug and came after her,” the affidavit said. “At that point, she believes she saw that the intruder had a knife.”

As Cheryl turned to flee, Calvert allegedly grabbed her from behind.

“She thought he was going to choke her,” the document said. “In fact, the intruder cut her throat.”

Doug Morigeau then got up and grabbed Calvert. Cheryl, who had other cuts on her hands, fell as she turned.

“One arm would not work,” the affidavit said, and it was later determined the neck injury damaged nerves that control that arm.

Cheryl Morigeau did manage to escape to the back door, as her husband continued to fight back – trying to push the intruder out the front door. She described Calvert’s eyes as “cold and evil,” the court documents said.

The fight continued until “it got quiet in the house and (Cheryl) looked in and could only see the upper body and head portion of the intruder on the other side of the couch where Doug was located.”

She “realized the intruder might come after her, so she took off across the yard and down their driveway, across Highway 212” to her brother-in-law’s residence.”

The call for help went out, and officers found Calvert with the hunting knife and broken rifle in a field near the Morigeaus’ home.

Calvert told investigators he did not go to the house for money, but he was found with $480 in cash and a check he admitted taking from the Morigeaus’ counter.

Cheryl Morigeau was flown to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle with life-threatening injuries. She returned home last week. A memorial service for Doug Morigeau was held Friday in St. Ignatius.

***

Later, Calvert said he had been hearing voices and hallucinating while smoking “spice.” He told investigators he did not know why he killed “that guy (Doug Morigeau).”

“When asked how many times he stabbed Doug Morigeau, Calvert said that Morigeau would not die and he kept stabbing him in the neck, stomach and all over,” the affidavit said. “When asked about the rifle, he said it broke when he was hitting Doug Morigeau with it because he would not die.”

Calvert said he could not remember if there was a woman at the house, but admitted he “stabbed her in the neck” after authorities showed him a picture of Cheryl.

The court documents also revealed Calvert stabbed a third person on Dec. 6.

Gordon Northpiegan was identified in court documents as as the boyfriend or husband of Calvert’s sister-in-law. He allegedly went from “house to house” with Calvert to try to find cigarettes.

“At some point, Calvert said he became convinced Northpiegan was going to kill him, so he stabbed (Northpiegan) in the back,” court documents said.

Calvert then walked off alone.

When questioned by officers, Northpiegan first denied being stabbed, but later was treated for a stab wound at the hospital in Polson. He then told Polson police Calvert had stabbed him, court documents said.

***

Sanders County Undersheriff Lanny Hensley said Monday the department is still investigating the case.

The crime scene was released last Monday after Sanders County officials, with the help of the Division of Criminal Investigation in the Montana Department of Justice, finished the investigation there.

Now, “we’re still putting everything together,” Hensley said.

No date has been set for Calvert’s District Court preliminary hearing.

The felony deliberate homicide charge is punishable by death, by life imprisonment, or by imprisonment in the state prison for no less than 10 years, court documents said.

Reporter Jenna Cederberg can be reached at 523-5241 or at jenna.cederberg@missoulian.com.

1. Stillmike Miller
    Stillmike Miller - December 22, 2012 2:45 pm
    I am truly sorry to read this story.

Clearly, laws need to be implemented against these assault knives.
  2. gypsy00
    gypsy00 - December 20, 2012 7:58 pm
    Thank you!
  3. gypsy00
    gypsy00 - December 20, 2012 7:51 pm
    Well My Side... I hope you are getting the point!
  4. Truth Be Told
    Truth Be Told - December 20, 2012 6:23 pm
    It's called being schizophrenic.....not SKITZO FRANTIC.
  5. Truth Be Told
    Truth Be Told - December 20, 2012 6:20 pm
    To My Side, I have absolutely no sympathy for your husband. You and your children were lucky he didn't do this to you or someone else in your family. I hate to say it, but I hope your children don't turn out like him. There is a strong possibility that they will have issues as they are growing up. I would never let a man who does drugs live in the same house as me. You should be thanking your lucky stars that your children are free of such a horrible excuse for a person. I know this sounds rude and distasteful but my heart only aches for the Morigeau's and their friends and family. Noone deserves to have someone barge into their home and be treated that way. From the sounds of it, your husband has been in and out of trouble for years and schizophrenic or not, he still chose to do what he did and he should not be using that illness as an excuse. I doubt he was ever much of your childrens' lives let alone ever a stable parent, so just be glad that he will be away from the general public where he can't murder some other helpless and innocent person. If I were you, I would be thanking God that he is finally out of your life. I do feel sympathy for your kids and can only hope that they are surrounded by stable, drug-free adults. Your children are innocent in all this and they need stability now, more than ever. I am sorry if this is offensive, but this is a section where we are allowed to voice our opinions and comments. Do not feel sorry for yourself. He is still alive. Doug, on the other hand....is not, thanks to a monster of a man. Doug and Cheryl did not deserve any of this and I hope you never have to lose someone in such a brutal manner.
  6. Truth Be Told
    Truth Be Told - December 20, 2012 6:19 pm
    To My Side,

7. lipgloss
    lipgloss - December 20, 2012 1:58 pm
    if there was a like botton i would like this a million times kcell, way to put it out there!!! @my side you are very lucky this didnt happen to you or youre children. I hope you and youre family can get the help that you need beause you obviously need it letting youre children around the devil. Prayers to the Morigeau family!!!!
  8. gypsy00
    gypsy00 - December 20, 2012 12:07 pm
    Ditto!
  9. kcell
    kcell - December 19, 2012 10:27 pm
    @ My Side you are worrying about what to tell your children about their father, a man who MUDERED an innocent man and ATTEMPTED TO MURDER an innocent woman in her own home. Your husband TOOK the life of man who was a father and a grandfather. What do we tell the grandchildren about their grandfather? What do we tell the family as they struggle with peace and try to move forward from a completely random and senseless act VIOLENCE.

You chose to marry, have children with and stay with a registered violent, repeat offender (per arrest records 2002-2010) and you think we have time to sit and worry what you tell your children!

I
  10. gypsy00
    gypsy00 - December 19, 2012 10:14 pm
    my side: I truly hope you got the message I posted earlier... Must have been to honest for the "Public" to read but I hope you saw it before it went down
  11. gypsy00
    gypsy00 - December 19, 2012 9:44 pm
    My Side - So sorry - NO Sympathy here! You should be thanking God that he didn't decide to do this to one of your children... How embarrassing for them to grow up with parents like you! Doug was a good man and his wife and children have to tell their grandchildren why Grandpa isn't here. He was there every day and night for his family. Where was your husband??? Oh Yeah, he was with your sister for two weeks prior to this horrible attack! hmmm, were you so ready to go bring daddy home them... You are just as sick as he is!
  12. dave ajou
    dave ajou - December 19, 2012 11:19 am
  13. TourGuide
    TourGuide - December 19, 2012 9:49 am
    No comment other than please stop typing in all capital letters.
  14. gfield
    gfield - December 19, 2012 8:47 am
    I feel for your children but not for your husband. He is an evil person who needs to be punished for a very long time. He took a good man out of this world and permanently scarred an equally good woman for life. You can visit him in a prison. Cheryl can only see Doug in memories.
  15. my side
    my side - December 19, 2012 5:43 am
    ok so i just posted about my husband n they took it off of her why cuse theres alway too sides to a story or because they just like all the negative things said about him well like i said THEY FORGOT TO PUT IN THRE NEWS FEED ABOUT ALL THE BS LIES OF MY HUSBAND TRUE FACT HES SKITZO FRANTIC, HE WAS OFF HIM MEDS CUE THE DR DECIDED NOT TO REFILLLTHEM. HOW DO I TELL MY 3 YEAR OLS SON JUST TURNED THREE NOV 18 THAT HE MAY NEVER SEE HIS DAD AGAIN OR OUR DAUGHTER 4 YEARS OLD THE SAME THIS REFLECTS US TOO. AS MY SON WALKS AROUND OUR HOME CALLING OUT DAD DADHOW DO I TELL HIM HES NOT HERE N MAY NEVER BE AS HE LOOKS FOR HIS DAD CARRYING HIS TOY CARS AROUND, OR TELL OUR 4 YEAR OLD EVERYNITE WHEN SHE TELL ME MOM ITS TIME TO GO GET DAD NOW HE WANTS TO COME HOME NOW HOW DO I TELL HER ABOUT HER DAD THAT SHE MAY NEVER SEE HIM SO BEFORE YOU GO JUDGING LOOK AT THE BIG PIC HERE. THIS HAS TAKEN A TOLL ON EVERYONE INVOLVED
  16. my side
    my side - December 19, 2012 5:18 am
    Ok for those of you that talk bad about my husband im sorry for what he did to these pple but the media for got to add that he also has a mental disease or deffect called skitzo frantic. This is a hard for us as well as the Morigeua family my prayers go out to them. LOOK ITS AFFECTED NATHANS FAMILY TOO, OUR THREE YEAR OLD SON WALKS AROUND THE HOUSE CALLING FOR HIS DAD CARRYING HIS TOY CARS AROUND HOW DO I TELL HIM HE MAY NEVER SEE HIS DAD AGAIN, AS FOR OUR FOUR YEAR OLD GIRL SHE TELLS ME EVERY NITE MOM ITS TIME TO GO GET DAD HE WANT TO COME HOME NOW, HOW DO I TELL HER THE SAME SO BEFORE YOU GUYS START JUDGING WHY DONT YOU LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE HERE. THIS IS HARD ON EVERYONE INVOLVED. AS FOR THE MEDIA THEY NEED TO GET THERE SH** TOGETHER N START TELLING EVERYONE THAT MY HUSBAND HAS A SICKNESS SKITZO FRANTIC, AND HE WAS NOT TAKING HIS MEDICATION CUSE OF THE DR DECIDED NOT TO REFILL HIS MEDS.
  17. TourGuide
    TourGuide - December 18, 2012 9:22 pm
    So now I have the crazy comment? Did you read below? Yeah I feel bad for bringing this comment to this story but it is a response to what has already been said.

If you are a gun toting liberal then we have that in common. If you have AR and AK based semis with 3O round clips in your possession, we don't have that in common. What I said is the logical progression of this nonsense argument of "it's not the object it is the evil behind it" idea. If you feel that it is ridiculous then my point has been achieved.

My sincere apologies to the family and friends, community and victims in this tragic story. Please understand that the standard of decorum and manners on these comment boards is very low. I let myself slide down as well.
  18. c
    c - December 18, 2012 7:18 pm
    Unfortunately Mr Morigeau was not able to grab an AR or Glock or S&W and save his life and protect his wife and rid us of a P O S and save us hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars. So sorry for the Morigeau family.
  19. flyfishdude
    flyfishdude - December 18, 2012 4:19 pm
    @ Tourguide... Are you serious? Your remarks are so ridiculous I truly don't know if they're serious. Mexican drug cartels, North Korea and Iran??? Did I miss something? Did these countries adopt the U.S. Constitution? Why in the world would you compare the rights of American citizens with #1-criminal organizations and #2-other countries entirely?
    I read this tragic story, knew the victims and was going to refrain from commenting, and if I did it was going to be simply offering my condolences, that is until I read your comment. UN-BELIEVE-ABLE. One more thing, before you go ranting about me being "just another wack-job right-wing fanatic"....I"m a proud gun-toting liberal,,,,, it takes all kinds to make up this great union!
  20. Dub
    Dub - December 18, 2012 3:31 pm
    My heart breaks for the entire Morigeau family. They are a credit to all mankind.
  21. TourGuide
    TourGuide - December 18, 2012 2:57 pm
    It's the not the object, it's the evil behind it, right? Many of you here are throwing up that NRA slogan. Guns or the weapons involved in a crime and/or act of violence have nothing to do with it, aint that right? Or here is another one popular with the sheeple: "blaming guns for violence is like blaming my spoon for making me fat". Right?

Good. So I guess that none of you that buy into this belief have no logical argument or problem with allowing North Korea or Iran from having nukes. For that matter, the Mexican drug cartels their militarized assault rifles and grenades either, ain't that right? Its nor a problem!
  22. Keni
    Keni - December 18, 2012 1:54 pm
    It's simply amazing how some people in Our society cry out for quick trials and a lynching at the nearest tree -- well, of course, until they themselves find themselves, or a loved family member in a pickle with the judicial system. Then they so demand "their" rights to a fair trial and a sentence less than the nearest hangin' tree.

Having had a brother and a first cousin murdered in 1976 in Oregon in two separate incidents, my position is that Mr. Nathan Lee William Calvert is innocent until either he pleads guilty to the charges, most likely to happen, or a jury finds him guilty of the charges.

Then, given the circumstances of the incident, he's most likely to receive life in prison which is a just sentence for his deeds.

That outcome, however, lies in the hands of the judge assigned the case and that's precisely why we elected him to sit on Our bench.

As for the Death Penalty, having seen it voted in and out numerous times around Our country is that it's antiquated and has never stopped another murder from happening and never will.

23. Keni
    Keni - December 18, 2012 12:52 pm
    Google it:

;)
  24. Sukey
    Sukey - December 18, 2012 12:32 pm
    He could only kill/injure 2 people, not 26 because that's all the people that were in the house at the time.
  25. OPRESOR
    OPRESOR - December 18, 2012 11:48 am
    As a gun carrying liberal listening to all the sarcasm about 'knife control' You're all idiots! The realization is that being classified as a 'violent offender' you are UNABLE TO PURCHASE A GUN! I have a three-second rule in my home that there is no place in my home that there isn't a gun within three seconds. Its funny to see all the Fox Newsers not care that 20 children die and not think that changes somewhere need to happen. Blame the liberals and the evil Muslim that you only have 20 round clip instead of a 50 rounder. Pathetic!
  26. dave ajou
    dave ajou - December 18, 2012 11:30 am
    There is no lust for the death penalty displayed here Berkeley Bob. What is on full display is the uncanny need for the effete left to talk down to the field hands on any, and every, subject. A lot of us field hands get pretty tired of that. A lot of us field hands wonder about the synchronicity between lack of empathy for victims slaughtered by murderers, and that same effete left.
  27. montanamuralist
    montanamuralist - December 18, 2012 11:29 am
    The misconception is that leftist like myself have a problem with people legally carrying weapons and that is just myth. At least for a lot of us. I was in the military and served honorably and also understand evil people and the right to defend yourself. The problem I have is with stupid people who carry weapons carrying around myth in their brains. I also, much as I despise this creep, do not support the death penalty and will be happy to have this slime off the streets for good. I know, you don't want to pay for his food. Does it matter the food is not that good??? Just kidding. As soon as I become God I will start deciding who lives and dies. So you folks legally carrying, fine. Do you need a semi automatic with a clip with 50 rounds in it? If your that bad of a shot you probably should not be allowed to carry!!! Meanwhile I am sad for the family and the friends of the victims and extend my deepest sympathy and the hope that justice is served.
  28. capa
    capa - December 18, 2012 11:09 am
    Wait ... why wasn't this guy able to kill 26 people instead of one person? Oh, he had a knife and not an AR-15. Ah, okay.
  29. Sukey
    Sukey - December 18, 2012 10:19 am
    okay, so educate us. this is your forum. I don't do drugs, marijuana or otherwise. This is the first an old fogey like me heard of spice. I thought dope made you giggle and gave you the munchies. Whats the spice stuff that contributed? to this psychosis?
  30. Bob Marshall
    Bob Marshall - December 18, 2012 9:35 am

Why is there always this odd synchronicity between bad grammar and the lust for the death penalty?
  31. AARGH
    AARGH - December 18, 2012 9:03 am
    WE NEED TO BAN KNIVES!!!! Knife Control NOW!
  32. Jacko22
    Jacko22 - December 18, 2012 8:44 am
    It's time for the tribe to bulldoze those multigenerational drug houses in the ghetto that is Agency. Everyone knows who and where they are.
  33. walter12
    walter12 - December 18, 2012 7:32 am
    And you leftists out there wonder why some of us legally carry?.
  34. T-Bone7
    T-Bone7 - December 18, 2012 7:26 am
    We should get a law that bans knives now. They are obviously evil like guns.
  35. mamadance11
    mamadance11 - December 18, 2012 6:46 am
    The sweet littel town of Dixon is known for growing the best mellons, NOT murder! The man that did this crime will pay for this. So many sad things going on in our world...
  36. mamadance11
    mamadance11 - December 18, 2012 6:42 am
    the answer to this is YES there is a BIG DIFFERENCE. Please educate your selfs & others to this. It is needed to help out. Thank you for asking.
  37. frazzle
    frazzle - December 18, 2012 5:09 am
    time to bring back public hanging
  38. Leonardo
    Leonardo - December 18, 2012 3:57 am
    This person should be "put to death" for this brutal murder.

39. elkguy
    elkguy - December 18, 2012 3:21 am
    And there's the ACLU trying to convince us that the death penalty is "cruel and unusual". This animal should be executed in front of the courthouse at high noon.
  40. Sukey
    Sukey - December 18, 2012 2:57 am
    Is there a difference between marijuana grown from plants and whatever "spice, synthetic marijuana" is?
  41. Deadwolf
    Deadwolf - December 18, 2012 2:01 am
    Gun, knife, club, etc can be used as weapons by evil people to do evil things. The objects are not the problem. Immoral people (society) are the problem. We have become a society that is drugging (legal or illegal) ourselves into oblivion. Unfortunately, our "enlightened" judicial system doesn't help. The process needs to be shortened. He did the crime. Give him a trial. Then the nearest tree. It is a shame the victims were not ready to defend themselves. Something like this could happen to any of us. 'Nuff said.
  42. oldcowgirl
    oldcowgirl - December 18, 2012 1:00 am
    And Eye for an Eye>>>
  43. oldcowgirl
    oldcowgirl - December 18, 2012 12:05 am
    Have know the Morigeua family for many years... Doug and Cheryl are the nicest people you would ever want to meet.....This murder "Calvert" if convicted needs the Death Penalty....... Period....... This A-Hole took a good mans life and tried to kill a very good woman.....I do believe in the death penalty....Andd this calls for it.........