An explosion has blown out windows in an apartment near the University of Montana golf course on Yreka Court.

KURT WILSON/Missoulian

An explosion Sunday blew out three windows in a second-story apartment near the University of Montana golf course on Yreka Court, and injured 2 adults and a child inside.

The building is university student housing, just off South Avenue.

The explosion took place around 4:30 p.m. blasting the screens on the bedroom windows around fifteen feet away from the building in apartment 1010. Bits of glass were found past the cars parked on the edge of the street.

On the other side of the building, the window in the kitchen and living room of the same unit had also been broken, and large chunks of the glass were scattered around the grass below it.

Sgt. J.C. Denton of the Missoula Police Department said they were called in by the UM police to take over the investigation of the incident. By 7 p.m. Sunday, he said police had not entered the apartment, and were waiting on a search warrant before they could.

He said law enforcement had checked the neighboring apartment, and at that time didn’t believe there was any structural damage that would cause further danger.

“Right now, we’re in the (early) stages of the investigation,” he said.

According to one source, two adults and a child were in the apartment at the time of the explosion and have been taken to the hospital. Denton said people were taken to the hospital, but said he didn’t know the specific details of demographics or the extent of their injuries.

Blankets hung out of each bedroom window, but Denton said the police didn’t yet know what they were for. There was little to no visible damage inside of the apartment. Glass light fixtures and bulbs were still intact and turned on inside one bedroom and the living room area. Although they were bent, the screens from the bedrooms appeared to not be torn or burned.

Shaggy Altaf, who lives in the apartment building next door, said he heard a boom, and his apartment wall shook. He said he didn’t know what had happened, and didn’t come outside to look around until he heard the sirens of emergency responders.

Police told Altaf and his roommate that the scene was safe and they didn’t have to worry about another explosion.

You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.