2 killed in alleged DUI crash on Interstate 90 early Sunday

2012-08-06T07:30:00Z 2014-08-12T19:44:30Z 2 killed in alleged DUI crash on Interstate 90 early SundayBy BETSY COHEN of the Missoulian missoulian.com
August 06, 2012 7:30 am  •

An alleged drunken driver killed himself and an 8-year-old boy in another car when he crashed head-on into a family of four on Interstate 90 early Sunday.

The incident happened around 4:30 a.m. Sunday near the Clinton interchange.

According to Highway Patrol Trooper Drew Novak, the 33-year-old Montana male driver of an older Chevy pickup truck was driving west in the eastbound lane of I-90 when he collided head-on with a red Honda carrying a family of four from Washington state.

The man was ejected from his truck upon impact and died at the scene of the collision.

An 8-year-old boy who was riding in the Honda was also killed.

The driver of the Honda, a 37-year-old man, sustained serious injuries in the crash and was taken to St. Patrick Hospital in Missoula and then flown to a hospital in Seattle.

The man’s 29-year-old wife and 5-year-old son are in stable condition at St. Patrick Hospital.

Novak said the accident, which remains under investigation, appears to be alcohol-related. The 33-year-old driver of the pickup was driving despite having a suspended license.

Novak said the Washington state family was on vacation, heading to the Paradise Valley when the accident happened.

1. snowy
    snowy - August 29, 2012 10:54 am
    We attended the festival for the first time this year and we had a very good time until sunday when we passed by the accident. We are very sad about the events that took place and that a small boy lost his life. I'm just sorry for all involved except for the guy that STOLD the truck from the festival. We are not sure where some of the people think this festival is responsable for the accident they do all that they can to make sure every one is safe. There is patrol there all day and night, we did notice that first thing in the mornings there is no patrol. I am also not sure where people think this is a family affair it clearly states on the web site that it is 21 and over only. It also says when u come in no kids. We travel alot to montana and we see accidents all the time and not long after the festival there was another 6 time dui driver over there that was driving on the wrong side of the hwy. and caused an accident and they couldn't even convince the guy he was wrong. We have noticed there is daily dui accidents on the hwy over in montana. Any way what I'm trying to say is we DO NOT belive the festival is responsable for the accident, there are many events in montana that involve drinking and then driving,not just testy fest. Thank you for letting us say our thoughts Randy and Dottie Beardslee Orient Wa.
  2. frazzeled
    frazzeled - August 12, 2012 12:16 pm
    I was watching the the news the morning after this sad event happened. My thoughts were somewhat the same as some of the thoughts left on this comment page about this driver who was at fault.
    DUI laws don't work for a reason in the USA. States make huge money with huge fines in this country every year. Some state fines for DUI tickets land in the $10k range or more after you get a couple tickets under your belt. It's not a protection law but rather a money maker.
    Found out later that day I knew this driver. He was the same type of person who would be sickened by this very story. He was the kid in his family but also had two younger kids than the the boy in this story of his own. He was the guy who came over your house for a BBQ and played with your kids more than anyone there.
    Had he lived through this he wouldn't have been able to live with himslef and he did pay the price for his actions and was accountable.
    He paid the house on his way off the planet with all he had.
  3. D
    D - August 10, 2012 11:19 am
    You guys can argue 'til the cows come home...I seriously doubt that ANY insurance company will cover RCL after this is all said and done. (i.e., lawsuits, etc.). Bye, bye Test. Festival.
  4. Red Fox
    Red Fox - August 09, 2012 3:13 am
    Your rebuttal is more of a reaction than a response. I'm not hijacking anything, but advocating that people be held accountable for their irresponsible behavior. I'm anti DUI, not anti alcohol. There is a difference. The stats I use are fact, not exaggerations. And about invoking the memory of the fine men and women who died protecting our country - I've known some of those who died. I believe I earned the privilege to use the example of our military sacrifice since I served in the military 20+ years and have been to Iraq and Afghanistan, have experienced 1st hand the efforts we have made there, and have been shot at while trying to do my part. Attempting to tie me to someone like Stalin is silly. But this isn't about me and my service, that would be a hijack. I communicated the sacrifice our military is making (we spend about 1 billion dollars every two weeks in Afghanistan and have lost far too many lives) to eradicate those who helped kill nearly 3000 Americans on 9/11 while we seem to do very little to deter behavior that kills 10,000 Americans annually. Your comment "Yes tragedies occur on rare occasions" doesn't cut it in my book. That little boy dying is one too many. I also remember the young woman T-boned by a drunk on Brooks. Do you? I remember the young man run over while walking down Brooks. Do you? I remember the woman run over near the Adams Center. Do you? I remember the Missoula attorney killed by a drunk on I-90 west of Butte. Do you? I remember the two young men who died on Hillview. Do you? I remember the young man killed on Orange Street at Sacajawea Park. Do you? I remember the gentleman who just finished a performance at MCT killed on Broadway. Do you? And I remember the young man from Frenchtown killed on I-90. Do you? All these I remember without having to do a "Google" search. And you have the audacity to claim they're rare occasions?
    I have indulged alcohol in my life. But not once in my 30+ years of being of legal age have I ever driven while under the influence. It's not that hard. I think our society has the right to expect responsible behavior from our citizens and to remove privileges (like drinking) from those who have demonstrated (especially those who have repeatedly demonstrated) an inability to respect our laws. I have no desire to engage in a petty spat with you. You are not my enemy. If you disagree, which it seems you do, I'm interested in what you would do to curb the deaths we have here in MT. Maybe you have better ideas than mine. But, IMO, sticking with the current status is unacceptable. Regards, RF.
  5. F Moh
    F Moh - August 08, 2012 10:33 am
    RedFox: I think it is reprehensible how you try to hijack other people's tragedy to promote your own anti-alcohol agenda.

This is not the type of DUI that you and your Nazi cronies are trying to stop. This is closer to somebody robbing a bank, fleeing the scene while drunk than the “guy who has too many and drives home” type of person you want to strip basic human rights from. Yes – the guy in this story was drunk at the time – but no – this sort of thing is not a common problem in Montana (or the country).

It would be like throwing all veterans in jail because a couple of them pop a cork and go on a killing spree back home. Hey – it happens. So you should be locked up to keep the rest of us safe! (per your own logic)

Also – I find it funny that you had to reach for NATIONAL statistics to try to emphasize your exaggerated claim that our highways are littered with the corpses from the victims of drunk drivers. Why not quote WORLD statistics? It will sound like an even bigger number.

Here’s a statistic for you – drive by any bar on a Friday or Saturday night and count the cars. Now multiply that times the number of bars in Montana. No wait – multiply that times the number of bars in the USA (since you want to talk National numbers). That means on any given weekend – probably over a MILLION people are driving home from these bars over the 0.08 BAC. Now multiply that by how many weekends (and holidays) there are in a year. And you’ll come up with number with a heck of a lot of zeros behind it. And more than 99.9% of these times – nothing happens. No property damage. No injury. No taking of a life.

Yes – tragedies happen on rare occasion. But you want to strip basic human rights from tens of millions of Americans to pay for a crime they haven’t even committed? And you want the rest of us to PAY for the costs for this Police State you want to build? In your twisted mind - a "better" America means half the population in prison. The other half paying for it. Let me guess....Stalin is your hero.

How dare you invoke the memories of those who have served and died to keep this country free so you can promote a society that more closely resembles that of our enemies than what our founding fathers had envisioned.
  6. Tiny
    Tiny - August 08, 2012 12:43 am
    No words can express how terrible I feel for your family, but please know you are in our thoughts and prayers. My son Brian G. Beaver Jr. was also from Washington State heading for Yellowstone with three of his friends. they were walking down brooke st. When Holm went over lanes of traffic, a medium and two more lanes of traffic going the wrong way and hit my son 24 years old. (leaving behind a young wife and 4 year old son), knocked over his step brother, throwing my son into a stone wall head first, You couldn't recognise his face, one foot holding on by alittle skin. Holm was found guilty sentenced to 30 years with 15 reduced. This man repealed to the Supreme Court.. The Judge let this man stay out of prison while he appeals to the Supreme Court. The State asked for an extension to September 7. This will be almost two years since he Killed my son on November 9, 2010. Holm still walks free, while my son is in the cold dark ground. I truly wish I could wrap my arms around you all and make you pain and sorry go away. Brian's Mother
  7. dorado
    dorado - August 07, 2012 2:09 pm
    It's more than tragic, but to hold the festival responsible for one #@*&ed up individual who stole a truck and had a suspended license is not going to stop these tragedies from happening. Are you next going to have everyone who attends a tail gate party at Washington Grizzly Stadium this Fall pass a breathalyzer before they can leave the parking lot? If you have a suspended license, you should actually be in jail or under house arrest except to walk or ride the bus to your place of employment. It's time to crack down on drunken driving once and for all in this state. I'm a father and a grandfather, and I want all these law breakers dealt with, an eye for an eye. The lawyers and judges are just too lenient and too worried about their civil rights and not mine.
  8. Turtlegirl
    Turtlegirl - August 07, 2012 11:35 am
    I am so very very sorry for your loss. I am trying to organize a aluminum recycling month at my work to help send some proceeds to the family. Not sure how much we will come up with, but want to show our support to all of you and show how appalled we are that this could happen to anyone. Could you please post if there has been a place set up yet to send money?
  9. Red Fox
    Red Fox - August 07, 2012 11:28 am
    On average, over three times the number of people who were killed on 9/11 are killed annually by drunk/impaired drivers - over 100,000 in the last ten years. For another perspective, we lost about 57,000 Americans in the Vietnam War in about 8 years. If the stats stay consistent, drunks will kill over 80,0000 Americans in the next 8 years. As a veteran who has been to Iraq and Afghanistan, I am angered by the irresponsible behavior of people, like this idiot drunk who stole the truck, who arrogantly and selfishly do what they darn well please while indulging alcohol (or other substances). We have lost many a fine young man and woman fighting overseas trying to keep our country safe and yet we have these drunken idiots who undermine their sacrifice by killing innocents and destroying families. When a drunk kills or disables a father/mother, do you think he/she has the means to pay compensation to the victim's family/children? - doubtful. In my opinion, someone charged with DUI should not be allowed to legally buy or possess alcohol in MT for at least 10 years. Their driver's license should reflect they have a DUI - one mark on the license for each DUI. Everyone should be carded regardless of apparent age. If their ID, normally a driver's license, reflects DUI, then they cannot enter the establishment. Instead of spending money bailing out ballparks or other pet "feel good" projects, our City Council should allocate funds for undercover police to patrol our bars to ensure people are carded properly. If a bar is found/shown to not comply, then they should be closed immediately and then remain closed for at least a week. A pre-determined number of infractions would result in the establishment losing it's liquor license. Minors who are charged with possession should immediately lose their driver's license until they are 21 and again should not be allowed to purchase/possess alcohol for ten years after they are of legal age. Yes, we should continue to suspend driving privileges, but I think we need to restrict the access to alcohol to those who are irresponsible with it. Also, anyone who is charged with DUI should lose certain privileges, like not being able to attend a state university, or being hired by the state, etc. I realize we can't stop people from drinking, drunks are drunks and they will find a way, much like drug users. But, I want us to make their life a whole lot harder and make Missoula and Montana an undesirable place for them to live. In a sense, I want to kick their can down the road. Condolences to the victim's family. I am sorry this happened to you. Regards, RF.
  10. Bune
    Bune - August 07, 2012 8:32 am
    I am the great grandmother of this 8 year old boy, his name is JACOB. He has a little brother, Elijah and a heartbroken mother and a family who loves him. Our life stories have been changed forever. Jacob could have been your child, would you stop this insanity then. So next year when you are planning your festival, please remember our boy, please honor our boy and stay home. please...
  11. ric
    ric - August 06, 2012 9:23 pm
    Well said.
  12. GaryTinkSanders
    GaryTinkSanders - August 06, 2012 5:13 pm
    david I am hardly pandering for votes, I do not condone this gathering but they are in their full right of the law to hold this event, the fact is you do not like the festival whether it be immoral, vial, trashy, sexist or is against your religion so you want to come in and shut them down using the accident that happened as the mechanism, when they have no control over the poor decision making that has taken place, as I understand it the vehicle was not authorized for his use, he had a suspended drivers license, he was a law breaker and nothing was going to stop him from breaking the law. You sir should not be using this tragedy as a platform to place restrictions on an event that you do not like, you are pandering to your own ill intentions. You make the statement about" any business that cared about public safety" If this is the case then why do people have to die in car wrecks before there is a recall, why do they sell beer in 6 paks when 1 would be clearly enough, hell why do they sell beer, alcohol, wine and cigarettes at all if they were concerned about peoples health. We should outlaw high performance cars and semi trucks with that mentality I'll bet the family was neither do-gooders or killjoys, you are just using this horrible tragedy as a play on your personal agenda and you should apologize to the effected people. I will protect your rights to your opinion whether I like them or not because I support our constitution. Tell me this david how many charges of sexual assault were filed at RCL this past year and how many on campus.
  13. Alan Johnson
    Alan Johnson - August 06, 2012 1:12 pm
    Fourth offense, felony DUI convicts do go to "prison." They are incarcerated and put in the WATCH program at nearby Warm Springs. The program rightly imposes alcohol treatment on these convicted of DUI. Drivers who commit a felony during the DUI offense, i.e. vehicular assault or negligent homicide, do face prison time. Cars can be confiscated, but that is complicated unless the title to the car is held free and clear by the offender. Since many drivers have a bank lien on the car because the owner is still making payments, or share ownership of the vehicle by another innocent party, i.e. a spouse, confiscation can be impossible.

Drunk laws are tough, but keeping repeat offenders off the road is not easy to enforce. Some states can saturate a highway with multiple patrol cars, while in Montana our vast spaces limit the amount of highway that can be watched. In this case the driver was driving in spite of being suspended and stole the truck to boot. How do you prevent that? A check point has been mentioned, but how many events can have a check-point, who decides which one to cover and who pays for the law enforcement officers required?

It's not practical to incarcerate every repeat offender for life, nor can we afford to monitor everyone with a suspended license. We can't follow everyone. And remember you are dealing with drunks. A rational person may follow the law if suspended. A rational person knows when they are too drunk to drive. But drunks who are full of alcohol are not rational people.

I know I'm raising more questions than solutions, but I think it's worth mentioning how hard it can be to prevent drunks from driving vehicles.
  14. Alan Johnson
    Alan Johnson - August 06, 2012 12:48 pm
    Well, according to the Attorney General's website you are not accurate.
  15. dave ajou
    dave ajou - August 06, 2012 11:26 am
    You're a fool and you're pandering to the lowest common denominator for votes, which is pathetic. Shuttles and camping spots are fine, but the atmosphere, tone and promotion of this multi-day event far eclipses any evening frat party or normal bar crowd. Look at the photos they post on their website from the past events and then come back with a straight face and promote their concerns for safety. Your analogy about holding people responsible falls as flat as your campaign will. This would be more accurately presented if you said the gun manufacturer showed up at the event and handed out free guns and ammo, or the auto manufacturer handing over the keys to drunks and preteens etc. This is no ambush of RCL, they have been wearing a "sue me" sign for years, and they are acutely and personally aware of the deaths directly attributable to this event. Any, and I mean any, business that cared about public safety more than their own bottom line would have shut this down years ago. You just eclipsed Alan Hale as the representative for the knuckle dragging poster boy promoting "personal accountability" , which in reality means you're promoting the inalienable Montana right to get trashed and hit the road. We see how well that's worked out. I'll bet the family of killjoys and do gooders on their way to vacation, who were devastated by this murder, will be fully supportive of your keen insight. You have no shame, but you should be ashamed and apologetic.
  16. lancebaier
    lancebaier - August 06, 2012 10:51 am
    This is very very tragic. Maybe the guy who left his keys in the vehicle should be charged with negligence. I have been in the entertainment business for years lets not get self rightous thats not the cure to any problem. I personally think a designated parking area with a dui check point would be a solution worth looking into.
  17. Turtlegirl
    Turtlegirl - August 06, 2012 10:24 am
    I am so, so sorry for your loss, and for the tragic injuries to your family. Please know that not everyone in Montana is so terribly irresponsible. We care, and are doing what we can to help educate people. No words can express how terrible I feel for your family, but please know you are in our thoughts and prayers.
  18. Turtlegirl
    Turtlegirl - August 06, 2012 10:16 am
    so by that comment are you saying that this poor family from Washington State should have been more alert, and on the look out? How were they suppose to be aware that this festival was going on and that they were putting their lives at risk by driving through our state on their path to vacation?
  19. GaryTinkSanders
    GaryTinkSanders - August 06, 2012 10:12 am
    Now why would you punish the good people of our state for the reckless behavior of a few, that makes no sense, be proactive not reactive. The U of M is known as one of the best party colleges in the country and this promotes more reckless behavior. A community cleaning is in order to protect our people and visitors from irrational behavior, Carl Ibsen and Mark Muir this starts with you and your staff meeting with the public to identify areas that need the most attention, the city to make sure there is budgetary support, more public intervention to identify abusers, when you have community involvement in the rooting out of these particular parasites you get better results and everyone will be pleased with the outcome.
  20. GaryTinkSanders
    GaryTinkSanders - August 06, 2012 8:46 am
    Start confiscation vehicles involved in DUI's, weekend jail time, community service for convicted DUI parties wearing a bright color to bring attention to their actions for all to see. These steps will help as loosing a vehicle and embarrassment is a huge deterrent.
  21. lovemissoula
    lovemissoula - August 06, 2012 8:40 am
    I am feeling sadness and anger! This happens time and again while the state remains paralyzed, unable or unwilling to act. This dear family should file suit against the state of Montana for failing to act on this recognized threat to society. I don't know how else people will wake up.
  22. GaryTinkSanders
    GaryTinkSanders - August 06, 2012 8:37 am
    RCL has every right in the world to hold this event and others whether or not you agree with it. With the irrational thinking and knee jerk reactions of a few you will never solve the problem, RCL offers camping spots and free shuttles which is more than any bar, restaurant, or college frat party offers. The Sheriff should set up a checkpoint on RCL property just prior to entering the public roadway. So faking tired, bartenders and the establishments should not be held responsible for other peoples actions, this mentality is like holding gun manufacturers, auto manufacturers, pharmaceutical manufacturers, railroads and media responsible for other peoples irresponsible actions, which takes personal accountability away which is wrong. The deaths are extremely tragic, the guilty feelings that follow will haunt people for years to come but this is no reason for the killjoys and do-gooders to ambush the RCL just because they have a moral or personal issue with the festival and want to see it shut down.
  23. mtgold
    mtgold - August 06, 2012 8:28 am
    i drove by going west at 4 pm saturday and i was aware of the festival and was on alert for drunks,and saw a sherrif in the median at the exit
  24. newsy
    newsy - August 06, 2012 7:43 am
    Montana doesn't have drunk driving laws...they have drunk driving freedom.

All the neighboring states have immediate suspension of a driver license on first offense of 90 days. Nearby states have up to 6 months. Montana is one of only a handful of states lacking any loss of driving privileges for drunk driving in the entire country.

Result: All neighboring states (ID, WY, ND, WA) have less than half the alcohol related traffic fatality rate that Montana has. The suspensions include the requirement to complete education and prove sobriety. People that cannot prove sobriety over the period of suspension are also likely to be alcoholic, and are at high risk of driving drunk again, and will not be able to get their license back until they can demonstrate they can overcome the medical condition and remain sober long enough to get their license back. This period is never for the majority of offenders who fail the first mandatory suspension period- the hill to climb for sufferers of alcohol addiction is too high.

Then again, Montana is the only state where elected state Representatives get up and bemoan DUI law revision as an attack on Montana Family Values and Traditions.

I'd add the sources for these facts, but the newspaper strips out the URL's. Just look for it under the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

This man was driving with a suspended license, which the above laws could not address directly. However, in order to have a suspended license, the person must have been a repeat offender in Montana. Many states require substantial time in jail for a 2nd offense.

25. walter12
    walter12 - August 06, 2012 7:28 am
    Drunkeness is so bad in Montana and Alaska that there seems to be no answer to this huge problem. In downtown Anchorage in the middle of the day and all through the night, drunks of all races and ethic backgrounds wander around. When you buy liquor in the store, in Alaska, the attendant checks your drivers license, no matter how old you are, with some machine. But that does not seem to help. Drunk driving should have a terrible price to pay, maybe that would make, at least, a few think before doing it. This bum who killed the child should be made to pay dearly.
  26. MiddleFinger
    MiddleFinger - August 06, 2012 7:12 am
    We need a nationwide National Avoid Montana advertising campaign saying that your beautiful family vacation could end just like in this story simply because you were in Montana and the rules are different here.

Maybe that would wake up the masses that the DUI epidemic is out of hand.

I know our state senators firmly believe that DUI's are a God-given right and Montana way of life that we cultivate in high school. But it has to end.

Or perhaps law enforcement would prefer that Montana citizens solve this ourselves using some of our other God-given Montana rights?

27. grandpa doggie
    grandpa doggie - August 06, 2012 6:26 am
    His name is Jacob William Gamble, April 1st 2004, Aug 5th 2012, I wont forget you
  28. raptor53
    raptor53 - August 05, 2012 11:02 pm
    This is our legacy Montana. A family vacation turns to tragedy because some fool decided to get hammered and drive. I'm glad he is dead because some soft handed liberal judge would have probably just slapped his hand and put him back on the streets if the poor little boys life wasnt ended. How can these people get 4 or 5 or more DUI's and still be out there ? In Sweden you get busted driving drunk you are done driving. How many would take that chance here? Let's get real and get tough on these fools. Your loved on could be next. Wake up Montana !
  29. MyPointofView
    MyPointofView - August 05, 2012 10:20 pm
    the dui check point is the solution...for this party I agree... and for the rest?
  30. MTnative92
    MTnative92 - August 05, 2012 9:21 pm
    This is what we get for allowing a 4 day drunken, drug, sex party at the so called Testicle festival. This event should be closed down. The result of a drunken idiot driving away from this crap caused a family the loss of a child. Be proud Montana..party on!
  31. melhouston
    melhouston - August 05, 2012 8:59 pm
    PS Laceydroach...
    PLEASE tell your boyfriend that he did all he could and that we are grateful that he tried to stop this from happening.
  32. melhouston
    melhouston - August 05, 2012 8:57 pm
    Laceydroach
    This was my grandson in the red honda that was killed today. My daughter and her family where heading to Paradise Valley to meet up with family for some camping.
    We are completely destroyed!
    Thank you for providing this information.
    Sincerely,
    Melinda Houston
    Grandma to Jacob (the 8 yr old little boy)
  33. sofaking tired of the GOP
    sofaking tired of the GOP - August 05, 2012 8:27 pm
    If they just put a DUI check point right outside the Rock Creek parking lot this would end.
  34. sofaking tired of the GOP
    sofaking tired of the GOP - August 05, 2012 8:25 pm
    Why should bartenders be held responsible but not the bar?
  35. sofaking tired of the GOP
    sofaking tired of the GOP - August 05, 2012 8:24 pm
    Bartenders are usually held responsible for patrons they overserved.
  36. Montanagirl2621
    Montanagirl2621 - August 05, 2012 6:56 pm
    this breaks my heart...people have to be held accountable for their actions. The owners of the lodge pay for a shuttle going back and forth all night advertising it and the seriousness of drinking and driving. The man who was driving actually stole the truck from the festival. if your blaming a festival because one 33yr old man makes a bad decsion you have to blame every bar that has served a drink to a person who caused a fatality. I think that when leaving the festival there should be a patrol car prior to the ramp ready to pull ppl over on the spot and bust them right there. i have known the people that run this show for a long time and trust me that all family and staff from the lodge are heartbroken and pained for both families.
  37. laceydroach
    laceydroach - August 05, 2012 6:32 pm
    Unfortunately, I as well have to question where was the State Patrol on this one. My boyfriend was on his way from Spokane, WA to North Dakota for work, riding with a coworker, and both witnessed this drunken irratic driver. I received a text at 4:42 am stating he was near Missoula, MT, and I quote, " Just about head on with some a*%hole driven on the wrong side of the freeway.., that will wake you up" at 4:44 am, he text, "Called 911 on that one before he kills someone" . He gets a call shortly before he text me again at 9:30 am stating 911 called him, requesting any knowledge of the accident that happened were they a witness, He simply stated, no, I was trying to prevent one, seeing as the guy missed them by less than a foot. He gets to his destination and now feels responsible for the 8 year olds death that he could have done more, like let the guy hit them, let them go down, not an 8 year old child that had his life ahead of him. Im 1800 miles away and cannot provide him any comfort of what he feels like he hates himself, how do you tell him, he did what he could?
  38. UMstudent77
    UMstudent77 - August 05, 2012 6:31 pm
    I agree it is a sad story and yes the state needs to enforce tougher laws on individuals. It is pathetic that someone finally goes to jail/prison after their 13th DUI. That said, how can you hold RCL responsible for the actions and choices of another individual. Shouldn't we hold people personally responsible for their actions instead of attempting to place blame on those who did not make the decision?
  39. pl
    pl - August 05, 2012 5:53 pm
    How unfortunate for this family that they just happened to drive through the state of drunks....Montana. How sad for this little boy and his family. This is a tough way to get ONE drunk off Montana's highways. Maybe some day our judges, legislators, and prosecutors will figure out a BETTER way to get drunks off our roads, but I doubt it. They aren't interested because if they were, they would have done it by now.
  40. DebraPeltier
    DebraPeltier - August 05, 2012 4:07 pm
    I agree...it is most likely that's where the driver was coming from. This is not the first death as a result of the Rock Creek Lodge Testicle Festival...there is rarely a year goes by that someone doesn't die as a result of driving drunk from this atrocity! The difference is, THIS year, it was not only the drunk person but a child that died. The real question is, how much longer will this be allowed to continue??? Not only should there be extra patrolmen, with someone there at all times, but the RC Lodge should be charged the $ it costs to have the extra patrol. In addition, the RC Lodge should be held responsible for the death of this child as well as the injuries to the others involved in the accident. Maybe then some sanity could be instilled...until then, it will continue to worsen as it has over the last 21 years that I have lived at Rock Creek.
  41. dave ajou
    dave ajou - August 05, 2012 2:31 pm
    How tragic for this poor family. Anybody want to guess where this driver was prior to the crash ? Rock Creek seems like the spot somebody would get on I-90 headed towards Clinton. Odds on that the TestyFest is where he was coming from. Another fatality, if that's the case, directly tied to this event. This annual scourge needs to be stopped dead in its tracks.
  42. Smokesignals
    Smokesignals - August 05, 2012 1:04 pm
    Sickening! RIP, little one.

Missoulian reporter Dave Erickson presents the latest news you need to know about today's headlines in abou…

Missoulian reporter Kate Haake presents the latest news you need to know about today's headl…

All about the bees-knees

All about the bees-knees

Jeff the Nature Guy shares some cool facts about honey bees.

Missoulian reporter Jenna Cederberg presents the latest news you need to know about today's …