Loyola Sacred Heart High School has claimed an honor no other high school in the nation can boast.
As of Saturday, after the Class B speech and debate state championship meet near Billings, Loyola can boast 30 consecutive state championship titles.
“I feel very happy and I think of the 30 years of wonderful kids I have had the privilege of working with,” said Matt Stergios, who has served as the school’s head coach for most of the three decades and returned to the post this season with the hopes of guiding the team to the historic benchmark.
“I feel like we have a common bond of being on top, of being part of the most successful program in American history and the team with the longest championship record – 30 years.
The team left on Thursday for the meet at Huntley Project and rolled back into town on a bus at 4 a.m. Sunday with the state trophy in hand.
“We were pretty tired, but really happy,” Stergios said.
“I’m so proud of the kids. They conducted themselves well, were polite and respectful, and behaved in a way you hope to see in high school students,” he said.
“I do think character and success are intertwined, and this team showed that this weekend.”
In Butte,where the state Class AA speech and debate meet was held, Hellgate High School student Garett Hueffed also broke a distinguished barrier.
Hueffed not only won the extemporaneous speaking event, making him the state champion, but he is the first competitor in 12 years to win every regular season meet in a season.
Kalispell’s two high schools took top honors at the state AA tournament. Glacier High took first place and Flathead came in second. Missoula Sentinel, Big Sky and Hellgate high schools placed fifth, sixth and seventh, respectively.
The following results list how members of Loyola’s team placed at the Class B meet, followed by full results for western Montana schools at the Class AA state championship meet.
Loyola Sacred Heart High School
- Policy Debate – Caelin Miltko/ Shea Mann, second; Zach Burke/Alex Menendez, sixth; Noah Eikens/Erik Short, seventh.
- Lincoln Douglas Debate – Allison Sawyer, first; Charlie Johnson, third; Nels Garnaas, sixth.
- Memorized Public Address – Jack Ward, second; Brayden Byrne, third.
- Original Oratory – Rosie McCormack, second; Tanner Condit, third; Maria Abbot, fourth.
- Humorous Interpretation – John Dollar, first; Kieran Collins, second.
- Serious Interpretation – Brenna Kinsey, first; Jade Combs, eighth.
- Impromptu – Katya Hall, fifth; Emily McCue, seventh seventh.
- Extemporaneous Speaking – Nick Descamps, first; Mikayla Schneider, second; Ian Descamps, third.
- Expository Speaking – Karlin Moore, fourth.
Class AA results for western Montana high schools:
- Policy Debate – Ellie Lapp and Katie Anderson, Flathead, third; Ryan Keenan and Ben Moon, Flathead, fourth; Ryker McIntyre and Anika Fritz, Glacier, fifth; Brytni Escalara and Bailey Filinger, Sentinel, sixth.
- Lincoln Douglas Debate – Emily Sterbis, Big Sky, first; Lukas Dregne, Glacier, third.
- Public Forum Debate – Ian Hollander and Izaak Castren, Glacier, third; Noah Hill and Ruben Castren, Glacier, fifth; Kelly Hendrix and Aryn Phillips, Flathead, sixth; Jared Halvorson and Wyatt Smith, Big Sky, seventh.
- Legislative Debate – Hunter Garbacz, Glacier, first; Jed Syrenne, Hellgate, second; Barrie Sugarman, Flathead, third; Kalyn Campbell, Hellgate, fourth; Austin Standley, Big Sky, fifth; Reece Erickson, Glacier, sixth; Serena Brosten, Flathead, seventh.
- Extemporaneous Speaking – Garrett Hueffed, Hellgate, first; Bridger Christian, Hellgate, second; Nick LaGrandeur, Glacier, third; Tom Dooling, Flathead, sixth.
- Impromptu – Abbey Hegge, Big Sky, first; Molly Wright, Glacier, third; Kenzie Lombardi, Sentinel, fourth; Parker Lund, Sentinel, seventh.
- Duo Interpretation – Wyatt Dykhuizen and Parker Kouns, Flathead, first; Bryce Tomas and Tanner Maroney, Glacier, second; Nicky Manlove and Nina Gamell, Sentinel, third; Jesse Francis and Jake Wilson, Flathead, fourth; Ben Charlson and Hudson Therriault, Hellgate, sixth.
- Humorous Interpretation – Karl Boveng, Flathead, first; Abby VanAllen, Glacier, second; Sydney Boveng, Flathead, sixth.
- Serious Interpretation – Tanner Maroney, Glacier, first; Rachel Tilman, Big Sky, second; Bryce Tomas, Glacier, third; Jessica Mount, Glacier, fifth; Karl Boveng, Flathead, seventh; Jhalen Salazar, Flathead, eighth.
- Memorized Public Address – Brooke Wahlert, Flathead, first; Rachel Tilman, Big Sky, third; Danny Power, Flathead, fourth; Leah Cook, Glacier, fifth; Chloe Newlon, Flathead, sixth; Harrison Kauffman, Glacier, seventh; Molly Wright, Glacier, eighth.
- Original Oratory – Teesa Palmatier, Glacier, first; Kenzie Lombardi, Sentinel, second; Emily Morrison, Glacier, third; Keckeley Habel, Glacier, fourth; Angie Merrill, Glacier, fifth; Duncan Cox, Sentinel, seventh; Maija Hadwin, Flathead, eighth.
- Expository Speaking – Christian Stratton, Glacier, second; Kodee Wagner, Flathead, third; Sara Christensen, Glacier, fourth; Glenn Strickler, Flathead, sixth; Duncan Cox, Sentinel, seventh; Rebecca Poulson, Sentinel, eighth.