Fire

2 Missoula auto body workers burned when fumes explode

2013-08-19T17:00:00Z 2014-04-05T20:04:30Z 2 Missoula auto body workers burned when fumes explode missoulian.com

Two employees of Rick’s Auto Body were injured Monday morning – one seriously – after lacquer thinner fumes exploded in an enclosed area in the back of the shop.

Missoula City Fire Marshal Gordy Hughes said two workers were caught in the fire when static electricity caused paint fumes to ignite, and explode.

Hughes said two other employees rushed to the area after they heard someone yell fire, and doused the flames with a fire extinguisher.

One man was seriously injured and another had minor burns and injuries related to inhaling fumes from the explosion, Hughes said.

He said several items in the shop also caught on fire, but the auto body shop itself sustained minimal damage.

“We’ll be looking at things like what kind of protective system they have in place,” Hughes said.

The names of the victims were not released to the press.

Both men were transported to St. Patrick Hospital, Hughes said. The seriously injured man was then taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, because of the extent and severity of his burns.

Reporter Kathryn Haake can be reached at 523-5268 or at kate.haake@missoulian.com.

Copyright 2015 missoulian.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(11) Comments

  1. patti salmonsen burton
    Report Abuse
    patti salmonsen burton - August 22, 2013 3:30 pm
    SO VERY SORRY FOR ALL PARTYS, RICK AND HIS FAMILY SO SORRY, MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO FAMILY MEMBERS....THIS IS ABOUT MOURNING THE FAMILYS,,, CRITISIZING WHAT HAPPENED IS MUTE,,LET THE PROFESSIONALS DUE THERE JOB,, AGIAN SO SORRY......
  2. tfs1150
    Report Abuse
    tfs1150 - August 21, 2013 9:22 pm
    My thoughts and prayers go out to the Hall family and friends. I also send my condolences out to Rick Booth and all his workers, I am sure they are devastated as well. I have known Rick for over 30 years and have worked for him twice, and I can attest that he is an extremely conscientious and caring person and business owner. He is a fine individual and he and Rhonda have built a great business by caring for their employees and clientele in an honest and forthright manner. If there had been a known issue that was unsafe, Rick would have been the first to see that it was rectified in a short hurry.
    I can say with a fair amount of certainty that this accident would have taken place in the open air. Because it involved the transfer of an extremely volatile liquid into an ungrounded most likely plastic container. The cause of the ignition was the static electricity that built up during that transfer, and even a large fan blowing directly over the operation would not have stopped the static, it might have even added to it.
    This tragic accident has given all of us in the auto body repair industry pause, and the safe techniques we use to fill our lawn mower gasoline cans at the filling station would have sufficed to prevent this accident. NEVER fill a plastic or any other type of can with volatile liquids when it is not firmly placed upon the ground!
    Just for some information, most large shops are required by OSHA and their liability insurance companies to have a safety officer who is in charge of training employees. I am fairly certain Rick followed this practice. In the end, body shops are dangerous work environments, and it is up to each employee to practice safe techniques when performing their duties.
    Again, I extend my deep condolences to the Hall family, and to the crew and ownership of Ricks Auto Body.
  3. Hockey-dog
    Report Abuse
    Hockey-dog - August 20, 2013 9:50 am
    I personally took a tour of Rick's after it was built. It is 100% state of the art. For those of you who are bad mouthing Rick, shame on you. Rick is one of the kindest, most caring individuals I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. He gives to the community, not only financially, but his time is spent helping others as well. If for a second you think Rick and his family, had any knowledge of something not being at code, I assure you it would have been fixed. What needs to happen before a lot of finger pointing, is an investigation needs to be done. If the inspector who checked the ventilation gave it a passing grade then how would that be the shop's fault?
    So before you start blaming (lostinzoola) or make snarky comments (Roger), let's see what the investigation brings up. Whoever is at fault, I'm sure there will be reprocussions.
    At this juncture, I think it would be important to help the families of those who are suffering today their loss.
  4. LPope
    Report Abuse
    LPope - August 20, 2013 8:30 am
    Missoula and Ricks lost an amazing and wonderful man lastnight. He gave his all to his job and will be greatly missed. I love him dearly. Please send your prayers and warm thoughts out to his family and many friends. This is a time for grieving not blame. I am sure the employee's and owner's of Ricks are heart broken for this terrible accident as is ALL that knew him. My world is shattered.
  5. PhilL
    Report Abuse
    PhilL - August 20, 2013 8:20 am
    Nancy - I am so sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with your family.
  6. Janice
    Report Abuse
    Janice - August 20, 2013 7:55 am
    Nancy, I am so sorry. Please let your family know that alot of people in Missoula are thinking about your dad-in-law.
  7. that-guy
    Report Abuse
    that-guy - August 19, 2013 10:59 pm
    Proper ventilation? What is proper ventilation? I happen to know that the ventilation in that room is up to code otherwise it would have never passed inspection when the shop was built.
  8. nonloso
    Report Abuse
    nonloso - August 19, 2013 8:52 pm
    lostinzoola, I doubt you have friends, let alone friends that work. If you had one ounce of intelligence or ANY knowledge of this type of business, you would pause and think before you mouth off. Let the experts do their due diligence and discover what went wrong. This is a long standing Missoula business with a great reputation and no history of wrong doing, a state of the art building and I know Rick and crew do their best to ensure safety.
  9. Roger
    Report Abuse
    Roger - August 19, 2013 3:58 pm
    Hopefully not enough fumes to be explosive, just enough to be smelled - two different events. You've got to have ventilation.
  10. skillz
    Report Abuse
    skillz - August 19, 2013 3:08 pm
    The comments above are ridiculous - this could have happened anywhere and at any shop. Unfortunately it happened at Rick's Auto Body - a long standing Missoula business with a great reputation. Have you ever walked into a paint shop - fumes will be there no matter what kind of system you have?
  11. lostinzoola
    Report Abuse
    lostinzoola - August 19, 2013 2:29 pm
    “We’ll be looking at things like what kind of protective system they have in place,” Hughes said.

    Yeah, they better. A few friends of mine worked there, from what they told me that place doesn't do jack to ensure worker safety.
Missoulian Civil Dialogue Policy

Civil Dialogue Policy for Commenting on Missoulian.com

We provide this community forum for readers to exchange ideas and opinions on the news of the day. Passionate views, pointed criticism and critical thinking are welcome. Comments can only be submitted by registered users. By posting comments on our site, you are agreeing to the following terms:

Commentary and photos submitted to the Missoulian (Missoulian.com) may be published or distributed in print, electronically or other forms. Opinions expressed in Missoulian.com's comments reflect the opinions of the author, and are not necessarily the opinions of the Missoulian or its parent company. See the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Our guidelines prohibit the solicitation of products or services, the impersonation of another site user, threatening or harassing postings and the use of vulgar, abusive, obscene or sexually oriented language, defamatory or illegal material. You may not post content that degrades others on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability or other classification. It's fine to criticize ideas, but ad hominem attacks on other site users are prohibited. Users who violate those standards may lose their privileges on missoulian.com.

You may not post copyrighted material from another publication. (Link to it instead, using a headline or very brief excerpt.)

No short policy such as this can spell out all possible instances of material or behavior that we might deem to be a violation of our publishing standards, and we reserve the right to remove any material posted to the site.

Add Comment
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick