2 Stoners face marijuana charges after Corvallis bust

2014-08-02T06:00:00Z 2014-08-04T10:16:12Z 2 Stoners face marijuana charges after Corvallis bustBy PERRY BACKUS Ravalli Republic missoulian.com

HAMILTON – Two members of the Stoner family were charged with growing marijuana at their family home in Corvallis this week.

Rodney Ray Stoner, 57 and his son, Adam Lee Stoner, 24, appeared this week before Ravalli County Justice of the Peace Robin Clute on felony drug charges after Ravalli County sheriff’s deputies allegedly discovered a grow operation at the elder Stoner’s home.

The charging affidavit in the case said a former Baltimore law enforcement officer and a relative of the Stoners tipped off law enforcement to the alleged grow operation at 877 McWilliams Drive.

The man told deputies that Rodney Stoner had showed his wife and children the plants growing in a home-built room in an unattached garage.

A deputy asked the children – ages 12 and 14 – what they had seen, and they confirmed the plants were marijuana. They told the deputy they had taken a DARE class and had seen photos of the plant.

A search of the elder Stoner’s home allegedly recovered five marijuana plants, processed marijuana, marijuana pipes and grinders. Four clonazepam tablets were also allegedly found in the bedroom of the son. He did not have a prescription for the drug.

The younger Stoner told officers the marijuana belonged to him and that his father allowed him to grow it in the home.

Adam Stoner was charged with criminal production or manufacture of dangerous drugs and criminal possession of dangerous drugs, both felonies. He also faces misdemeanor counts of criminal possession of dangerous drugs and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Rodney Stoner was charged with felony accountability for criminal production of dangerous drugs. He’s charged with the same misdemeanor counts as his son.

Clute released both men on their own recognizance.

Reporter Perry Backus can be reached at 363-3300 or at pbackus@ravallirepublic.com.

1. stoner911
    stoner911 - September 05, 2014 3:14 pm
    Hahaha happy birthday Adam 89! Thank you for making it so easy! BTW, are you also Gramof5? I did direct my previous comment directly to Gramof5, but we all can see how much you enjoy involving yourself in something that don't concern you. Are you planning a birthday party for your last birthday as a free man? I should hope so! And remember, if your nervous about anything at all I'm sure your mommy can give you some more of her prescription nerve pills. You know the same ones she gave you and you got busted with? I bet her doctor doesn't want her giving away her narcotic nerve medications like that! So much illegal activity going on, but I think you can see very well for yourself! Strange that my husband and I ate such evil and horrible people, but so blessed... I gotta be doing something right for how blessed my family is! You should try to get your life right man, I used to feel sorry for you, now I just thank God it's you and not me!
  2. hahaha89
    hahaha89 - September 02, 2014 10:03 pm
    Dont listen to anything the person in the bottom comment says. Pathological lies and all fabrocations. Idc what anyone thinks and i know the TRUTH. U guys can believe what u want, i know the real story. And thats aaaalll that matters. Meet the wicked witch of the west to see for urself!
  3. stoner911
    stoner911 - August 13, 2014 2:23 pm
    Gramof5... I'm the one called the law, not Clint. If you know this family so well you'd know that Clints on retirement not workmen comp. Also his injuries prevent him from walking far distance nothing about swimming or tubing. In fact, that exercise is welcomed. Since Rodney abandoned my husband, out 12 year old son, and me after a traumatic log jam accident all bc we didn't just hop on and go afterwards, we needed time to recoup, but that inconvenienced his plans... we were left stranded and farmers called rescue for us. That was terrible but had nothing to do with my decision to report him. I did it bc he actually sou ghodid it bc of the way hee sought the courts advise see about having my kids removed from our custody. And there's no way I am gonna even let them near the kids after abandoning us like that. I'm bi polar, and have a past, but so does Rodney. Hes dsthalmic and an adulterous husband. In fact he's hated Clint since Kathy asked Clint to take her to rods trailer in rays town pa and found him having an affair with woman half his age! My neighbors all like me just fine, and cone to think of it, why did they let us stay w/ them if I am so crazy? I knew Rodney or you all would try and say we're growing, but in fact I asked the sheriff's office to come search cause no law says I can't have the set up for one we get our card. And Rodney has medicare thru disability, he don't need Kathy's insurance, he's on Percocet from his doctor now! He gets over a thousand a month plus he and Adams income, so he can afford a card. He spends 120 a week in pot, so he can def afford it... I don't appreciate he showed my 12 and 14 year old sons his room and smoked in front of them. So excuse me for protecting what's ours. Do me a favor, let us know who you are, since we have been honest. We'd like to know who thinks they know us so well...
  4. reloader212
    reloader212 - August 05, 2014 11:07 pm
    And after the "big" bust, the officers celebrated that night with pizza and beer.
  5. reloader212
    reloader212 - August 04, 2014 1:33 pm
    Why with marijuana is it always "manufacturing" but with any other plants like tomatoes its "growing"? I think it is just law enforcements way of making it sound more sensational.
    We are tired of these stupid marijuana laws. LEGALIZE IT SO WE CAN GET ON TO MORE IMPORTANT PROBLEMS!
  6. reloader212
    reloader212 - August 04, 2014 1:29 pm
    Right, I keep thinking back to the "Greg Barkus" case, "lawmaker" drunk off his a$$ crashes his boat and seriously injures everyone on board. He never had to be arrested or even go to jail. It proves in Montana, they are more interested in arresting people for some plants then punishing the people who almost kill us on a daily basis!
  7. startingover
    startingover - August 02, 2014 9:09 pm
    Well Suky just wanted to say that I have never changed my moniker on this comments page. I have had the same one since I started my subscription with the Missoulian. So as usual you are confused. I also notice you don't have your full name as a moniker either, is that because it is easier to hand out advice as to how the world should change to fit you? If anything I would be willing to bet it is one of your kids who would be smirking, and bullying. Since that is the tactic you rely on here, I assume it is a standard feature of your "real" personality that you passed on to your kids.
  8. Sukey
    Sukey - August 02, 2014 6:41 pm
    Why should a child go through life with, as Avalanche Creek says, the Missoulian shaming them about their family name? Theres no way they didn't suffer self-esteem problems with a name like that. You know they got teased by other kids, who smirked in School when the teacher called their name. If it was my son, I'd change a few letters in his name to keep him from starting off with that kind of label, just like you "startingover" hiding behind this phony label and always changing your blogging name.
  9. raptor53
    raptor53 - August 02, 2014 4:32 pm
    it all makes sense, gramof5. but the badges in Ravalli and the Justice Court couldn't care less. they MUST uphold the law! they know hardened criminals when they see them! Meanwhile tonight as the bars close all over Hazzard County, untold numbers of dangerous drunks will be making their way home.and very few will be held accountable, if any. Someone may even be killed. Geez, we live in a stupid society.
  10. startingover
    startingover - August 02, 2014 3:35 pm
    You have got to be kidding. They should change their names because it is a strike against them? Ok sucky, whatever.
  11. Faxnlogicovremotnlhystria
    Faxnlogicovremotnlhystria - August 02, 2014 2:56 pm
    These guys probably wish they would have got drunk and killed some people. Atleast then they wouldn't have to go to prison.
  12. Tracker
    Tracker - August 02, 2014 2:36 pm
    Greg, do you honestly imagine they sold one single copy more because of that headline?
    I know it's fun to act cynical and smug, as if you're the smartest guy in the room and every one else is stupid, crooked, and has sinister motives. Sorry, but Miss Perfect already has that gig here. Find your own schtick.
  13. Faxnlogicovremotnlhystria
    Faxnlogicovremotnlhystria - August 02, 2014 1:09 pm
    So far today I've jaywalked, rolled through a stop sign and switched lanes with no blinker. The above offenses I've committed, although minor, should be a higher priority to LE than growing a plant. Let's see of they figure out who I am and come after me for admitting to these crimes.
  14. GaryTinkSanders
    GaryTinkSanders - August 02, 2014 12:59 pm
    Very insightful. Always another side to every story.
  15. msonelson
    msonelson - August 02, 2014 12:42 pm
    You simply cannot arrest, convict, and incarcerate too many people in the land of the free.
  16. Greg Strandberg
    Greg Strandberg - August 02, 2014 9:46 am
    Please tell this to Van Valkenburg's replacement, Pabst. We've already seen how she can be complicit in campaign corruption...I'm sure doing what voters desire isn't high on her to-do list either.
  17. Greg Strandberg
    Greg Strandberg - August 02, 2014 9:45 am
    Professionalism and sales are two entirely different things.
  18. Sheepdawg
    Sheepdawg - August 02, 2014 8:26 am
    Wow...
  19. Roger
    Roger - August 02, 2014 8:25 am
    The terrorist group,Hamas, places their rocket launchers among civilian residences - so tough break. Israel has stated that if Hamas quits rocketing Israel, Israel will quit retaliating. But obviously Hamas couldn't care less about the innocent civilian deaths it causes.
  20. Sukey
    Sukey - August 02, 2014 7:40 am
    Israel is one of America's strongest allies. I understand why they're doing what they are doing. Hamas is a gihadist muslim terrorist group out to kill all non-muslims. I hope they level Gaza and start over again. Just like Sodom and Gomorrah, it is an evil place with foolish people who just want to fight. Why would you put Hamas in charge, they are nothing more than a pack of insane terrorists hiding bombs behind women and children. The Palestinian people are closely linked with the Jewish people by DNA. They would be far better off being governed by Israel.
  21. BWO
    BWO - August 02, 2014 7:40 am
    As if Ravalli County doesn't have better things to do? Let these folks go. And the Missoulian should apologize for the headline. How very unprofessional.
  22. Sukey
    Sukey - August 02, 2014 7:33 am
    Not denying anything you say, but why would you force your child to go through life with such a horrible name? You should have changed a letter or two at birth so he doesn't start out with a strike against him. Just like Anthony Wiener living up to his name, why would you want an innocent child to bear the burden of this horrible name?
  23. glacierdude
    glacierdude - August 02, 2014 4:18 am
    Not dopers.......STONERS!!!!
  24. gramof5
    gramof5 - August 01, 2014 10:48 pm
    what get me is that the son who reported his father to the police failed to tell the police that he has the same thing in his garage. Has no problem with that. Also why does't this great son explain how he can be on workman's comp for a bad back and yet is in an inner tube floating down the river when it was so choppy
  25. Avalanche Creek
    Avalanche Creek - August 01, 2014 10:38 pm
    I find the headline offensive and a cheap shot for this family. They did not choose their last name. The 24-year-old has probably had to go through teasing since the 60's turned his family name into a drug reference. What the headline be "Two Smiths face marijuana charges after Corvalis bust." and still be "cute"? Where is the adult in the newsroom? Is there still time to change it before it goes to print? There are lots of people that probably get busted for growing some plants but are they in the headlines? Maybe they were growing medicinal plants and in some states it is legal. This is especially embarrassing because you are shaming a child/parent about their family name.
  26. gramof5
    gramof5 - August 01, 2014 8:28 pm
    I happen to personally know these people and am more than happy to set the record straight. The former police officer in question is their son who was on an inner tube on the river just prior to this incident. He is on disability for back and arm. The father has medical issues and isn't able to afford medical care as the medical insurance where his wife works is horrible. To get relief from the pain he does do what he needs to do to relive the pain. He does not sell it he is in the process of trying to get his card so he can be legal, but at $120 a pop you can't always afford to go to the dr. The son got mad at the father and because the son has some issues (mental?) for other reasons he called the police. Maybe the son should figure out how to handle his bi-polar wife and get her to take her meds so neighbors don't have to listen to this woman carry on all hours of the night.
  27. Smilely
    Smilely - August 01, 2014 7:35 pm
    This is so stupid, a massive waste of money, and will ruin this father and son's life for a long time just for some stupid little plants and because someone they trusted snitched on them. The snitches should be arrested for distrust and collaborating with a tyrannical government. I don't even do drugs or support the use of them; but come on what's up? Our federal prison system has 267,000 people locked up and of those 65% are for drugs with several million others in state prisons and on probation for drugs. We are such a drug, gun and sex consuming culture but if you get busted for anything having to do with any of these offenses, guilty or innocent, your life is ruined even if exonerated at trial. It makes me wonder why we even have a justice system. Americans are a bunch of hypocrites. Here we sit back busting people for plants that no one would even have known about if they weren't shown them in confidence; Similarly, the American people sit back while one of the largest, most organized terrorist groups in the world, Israel, bomb the people of Gaza who are surrounded on all sides by Israel and can never leave Gaza - a virtual prison. Not only do the American people not say a word in defense of these defenseless people surrounded by Israel but Americans overwhelmingly support the bombing. Yes these two subjects are related in the sense that by far most Americans are soft and smug and afraid to take a firm stand against any subject that the status quo wants to ignore out of fear. My heroes are those individuals who say enough is enough and take matters into their own hands and are willing to gamble all in an attempt to right an injustice.
  28. wake-up-msla
    wake-up-msla - August 01, 2014 7:03 pm
    5 plants!! Really This is how that worthless Fulbright decides to spend our tax dollars, What a joke..
  29. sandydog5
    sandydog5 - August 01, 2014 6:53 pm
    Cannabis and Clonazepam both treat the same medical issues.
  30. walter12_jr
    walter12_jr - August 01, 2014 6:52 pm
    I hope this is a long drawn out trial and they put these dopers in prison for at least 15 years. 5 plants of the dope! This is obviously a big time dealer who is a danger to the community. Probably a lib and Obama supporter too.
  31. PappaRozzi
    PappaRozzi - August 01, 2014 6:21 pm
    That is the FUNNIEST headline I've ever seen!
  32. Billshut
    Billshut - August 01, 2014 5:27 pm
    That much trouble for five plants?! Wow. Ridiculous.
  33. walter
    walter - August 01, 2014 5:19 pm
    Do you guys realize what you said in this article??????
  34. Greg Strandberg
    Greg Strandberg - August 01, 2014 5:12 pm
    Headline heaven on this one. Guess these guys should have moved to Colorado. I wonder who the last person in the country arrested for this will be. Will there be a statue built for them one day, maybe a plaque with the number of injustices on it?
  35. reloader212
    reloader212 - August 01, 2014 4:37 pm
    Felony for growing 5 plants, We are stupid people, but a DUI is a misdemeanor!
  36. reloader212
    reloader212 - August 01, 2014 4:34 pm
    WOW 5 PLANTS, Big bust, What a waste of taxpayer $$. The people have spoken: Honor the People's will.

Missoulian reporter Martin Kidston presents the latest news you need to know about today's headlines in abo…

Missoulian digital director Emily Foster presents the latest news you need to know about tod…

Visual note-taking at Asia-Montana Energy Summit

Visual note-taking at Asia-Montana Energy Summit

Watch visual note-taker Alece Birnbach record a 90-minute seminar on global energy in 21 sec…

Missoulian reporter Kate Haake presents the latest news you need to know about today's headl…

Montana from the Air

Montana from the Air

Skyworks filmed over 45 hours of Montana aerial video footage 2012. Using a specially equipp…

Press conference: Kirsten Pabst