Montana's Tyrone Holmes, left, and Justin Whitted tackle NDSU running back Chase Morlock.

The altercations between the Griz and Bison apparently extended beyond the end of Saturday's highly anticipated college football game in Missoula.

North Dakota State running back Chase Morlock was approached by a maroon-clad fan on the field following the final whistle, a statement released Sunday by NDSU said, and the spectator "grabbed Morlock by the facemask."

Video highlights of the Grizzlies' game-winning drive that were uploaded to Youtube.com Saturday night appeared to show a player punch or shove a fan after some in attendance spilled onto the field following the Grizzlies' 38-35 victory.

The Bison player will not be penalized for his reaction, North Dakota State confirmed.

"Morlock did not throw a punch, but did push the individual away to continue exiting the field," the university's statement read. "Morlock will not face suspension or other punishment from NDSU for this incident."

The video shows the player identified as Morlock jogging away from the south goal line after the game's last play. The fan, dressed in a maroon shirt and jeans, followed Morlock closely for 10 yards before the player lashed out physically. Morlock and his Bison teammates then continued to midfield for post-game handshakes with the Grizzlies.

The same fan can be seen making contact with a referee on the field just moments before.

Montana football games have a long history of postgame fan involvement on the field level, though not until players have cleared the field. With the number of excitable fans outnumbering field-level security 100-1, some spectators managed to squeeze through the blockade in the southeast section and make their way toward midfield.

The University of Montana released its own statement late Sunday afternoon calling the incident inexcusable.

"Grizzly athletics would like to apologize to NDSU's players, coaches and staff for this regrettable incident that puts a negative mark on an otherwise outstanding game," the release said.

Morlock was the Bison's third-leading rusher in the game with 45 yards on 11 carries. He is a 6-foot, 221-pound junior back.

The Grizzlies' opening week victory Saturday came in front of a live television audience as part of ESPN's FCS Kickoff event. The Bison carried a 58-3 record over the past four years into the game and have won the past four national championships.

The Grizzlies won in come-back fashion as UM running back Joey Counts scored a 1-yard touchdown on fourth-and-goal with 2 seconds remaining.

You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.