The scoring frenzy started early and stretched into overtime Friday night at Washington-Grizzly Stadium.

By the time second-ranked Kalispell Glacier and Missoula Sentinel left the football field, 125 points were scored. An extra point by Wolfpack senior lineman Cameron Anderson proved to be the difference in a 63-62 decision.

Glacier pushed its record to 6-0 with the victory. Sentinel fell to 3-3 and saw its two-game win streak come to an end.

The never-say-die Spartans took their first lead in overtime when quarterback Mitch Roberts scored on a 5-yard run on second down. But Sentinel's point after attempt sailed wide left, so the Spartans had to settle for a 62-56 lead with Glacier's offense on deck.

Sentinel's Ethan Jones tackled Glacier QB Tadan Gilman for a 4-yard loss on first down. Gilman then threw an incomplete pass and the Wolfpack looked desperate in a 3rd-and-14 situation.

But Gilman, a Montana State recruit, came through in the clutch. The senior delivered a strike to Scout Willcut near the pylon on the right side of the end zone to knot the score at 62-62. Anderson then hit an extra point that sailed just inside the right upright to give Glacier the win.


The first quarter brought a scoring explosion that saw the Wolfpack and Spartans combine for 42 points. Glacier defensive back Jackson Pepe intercepted a Roberts pass on the third play from scrimmage and scooted 35 yards for a touchdown.

Sentinel answered immediately on an Elias DeWaters 95-yard kickoff return. But Glacier struck 38 seconds later on a Pepe 60-yard pass from Gilman.

The Wolfpack made it 21-7 with an 80-yard scoring drive capped by Gilman's 1-yard TD burst. Roberts replied with a 57-yard run to paydirt, but Pepe again killed the Spartans' momentum with an 85-yard kickoff return for his third TD, giving the visitors a 28-14 lead.

Glacier's lead ballooned to 35-14 early in the second period on a Gilman 23-yard zigzag run to the end zone. But Sentinel seized the momentum heading into halftime with touchdowns on a 22-yard lateral-and-pass play from Roberts to Brandon Morley to Jones and a 1-yard dive by Conner Crawford.

Sentinel trailed 35-28 at halftime and after the teams traded touchdowns early in the third quarter, the Spartans knotted the score at 42-42 with 4:25 left in the period. Chad Germer's second TD reception of the period and Caden Messer's point after kick forged the tie.

Glacier regained the lead on its next play from scrimmage. Turner rambled 80 yards up the middle for a touchdown and Anderson added the point after.

Early in the fourth quarter Sentinel tied the game again on a Crawford 1-yard plunge. Glacier regained the lead on a Gilman 3-yard TD pass to Willcut with 4:59 left in regulation, but the Spartans rallied once again.

Facing 4th-and-13 from the Glacier 18-yard line, Roberts made a clutch pass to Ty Kendall, who snared the ball in a crowd at the Wolfpack 3-yard line. Crawford later scored and the teams headed to overtime tied at 56-56.

You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.