Rankings for hardcover books sold in Southern California, as reported by selected bookstores:
1. "Catch and Kill," by Ronan Farrow (Little, Brown: $30) The Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter shares his account of how a network of powerful men conspired to silence women.
2. "Talking to Strangers," by Malcolm Gladwell (Little, Brown: $30) Examples of miscommunication explain potential conflicts and misunderstandings.
3. "Blowout," by Rachel Maddow (Crown: $30) The MSNBC news host offers her take on the oil-and-gas industry.
4. "Acid for the Children," by Flea (Grand Central: $30) The bassist of the Red Hot Chili Peppers tells his origin story, from L.A. streets to rock star.
You have free articles remaining.
5. "The Book of Gutsy Women," by Chelsea Clinton and Hillary Rodham Clinton (Simon & Schuster: $35) The former first lady Hillary Rodham Clinton and her daughter, Chelsea, share stories of the strong women who have inspired them.
6. "Year of the Monkey," by Patti Smith (Knopf: $24.95) Memoir explores a troubled year in the singer's life.
7. "Triggered," by Donald Trump Jr. (Center Street: $30) The oldest son of President Donald Trump exposes tricks he states the left uses to smear conservatives.
8. "Life Undercover," by Amaryllis Fox (Knopf: $26.95) A college student recruited by the CIA shares her years of hunting terrorists while also raising a daughter.
9. "Finding Chika," by Mitch Albom (Harper: $24.99) A story of how the author and his wife cared for a young orphaned Haitian girl after the 2010 earthquake in Haiti.
10. "The Body," by Bill Bryson (Doubleday: $30) A guide through the human body.
Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com