For information or to make an appointment at any of the Missoula-area sites, call 543-6695 or the number listed. The Missoula center is at 401 W. Railroad St. This week's blood drives include:
Tuesday - Marcus Daly Memorial Hospital, Hamilton, 12:30-5:30 p.m., call 375-4451 for appointment; and Our Lady of Mercy Church, Eureka, noon-5 p.m.
Wednesday - Missoula Red Cross Center, 10 a.m.-1 p.m.; Missoula Public Library, 301 E. Main St., 3-6 p.m. in the bloodmobile, call 721-2665; and Kalispell Red Cross Center, 2:30-5:30 p.m.
Thursday - The Women's Club, 2105 Bow St., 10 a.m.-1 p.m. in the bloodmobile; call 728-4410.
Monday - Missoula Red Cross Center, 2-6 p.m.; and Kalispell Red Cross Center, 2-6 p.m.
Tuesday, Jan. 4 - Missoula city/county offices, 435 Ryman St., 9 a.m.-1 p.m. in the bloodmobile, call 523-4703; and Ravalli County offices, 205 Bedford, Hamilton, 2:30-6:30 p.m.
Childbirth education - Marcus Daly Memorial Hospital in Hamilton will offer a six-week course Mondays, 7-9 p.m., beginning Jan. 3. Topics will include health issues, what to expect during labor, delivery and postpartum, breathing and relaxation exercises, breast feeding and infant CPR. Cost: $60 for mothers-to-be and their coaches. Call 375-4654 to preregister.
Adult education courses - For more information on the following fitness classes that begin the week of Jan. 10 call 549-8765, visit dllc.montana.com or stop by Dickinson Lifelong Learning Center at 310 S. Curtis St:
- Aerobic kickboxing on Mondays, 6:40-7:40 p.m., and Thursdays, 6-7 p.m. Cost: $25.
- Turbo Kick! on Wednesdays, 5:35-6:35 p.m. Cost is $25.
- Strength and conditioning on Thursdays, noon-1 p.m., and Tuesdays, 4:30-5:30 p.m. Cost: $25.
- Cardio Sculpt on Thursdays, 4:30-5:30 p.m. Cost: $25.
- Beginning yoga on Mondays, 9-10 a.m. Cost: $25.
- Continuing yoga on Thursdays, 9-10 a.m., and Tuesdays, 7-8 p.m. Cost is $25.
- Yoga/Pilates Fusion on Wednesdays, 9-10 a.m., and Fridays, 6:15-7:15 p.m. Cost is $25.
- Pilates on Saturdays, 10-11 a.m. Cost is $25.
- Fitness Ball Pilates on Saturdays, 9-10 a.m.; Tuesdays, 9-10 a.m. and noon-1 p.m.; and Thursdays, 4:30-5:30 p.m. Cost is $25.
- Beginning bellydance on Thursdays, 7:30-9 p.m. Cost is $37.
- Soul Motion Dance on Thursdays, 6:45-8 p.m. Cost is $31.
- Hip hop on Tuesdays, 6-7 p.m. Cost is $25.
- Country line dance on Tuesdays, 7-8 p.m. Cost is $25.
- Country swing dance on Mondays, 6-7 p.m. Cost is $13.
- Country two-step on Mondays, 7-8 p.m. Cost is $13.
The following health classes also are available:
- Standard first aid, Feb. 5 and Feb. 12, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Cost: $32.
- Adult CPR, Jan. 15, 8 a.m.-4 p.m., $16.
- Infant and Child CPR, March 22 and 24, 6:30-9:30 p.m., $16.
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Mondays and Wednesdays, Jan. 17-June 6, 6:30-9:30 p.m., $306.
- MedicalTerminology, Wednesdays, Jan. 12-March 23, 6:30-9 p.m., $62.
- Medical Transcription, Mondays, Jan. 10-March 21, 6:30-9:30 p.m., $109.
- Medical Records Health Clerk, Thursdays, Jan. 13-Feb. 10, 6:30-8:30 p.m., $26.
- Anatomy and Physiology, Mondays, Jan. 12-March 21, 6:30-8:30 p.m., $49.
- Basic Medical Billing, Tuesdays, Jan. 25-March 22, 6:30-9:30 p.m., $67.
- Basic Medical Coding, Tuesdays, Jan. 11-March 15, 6-9 p.m., $77.
- Beginning Medisoft, Fridays, Feb. 4-March 11, 8-11 a.m., $66.
AARP Drivers Safety Program - The course is offered the first Thursday and Friday of each month at St. Patrick Hospital's Broadway Building, Conference Center No. 1. Cost: $10. Call 329-5741 to register.
Addiction treatment programs - St. Patrick Hospital offers several addiction treatment programs for alcohol, chemical and gambling dependencies that are accredited by the Joint Commission of Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. For more information on specific programs, call the following numbers: Adolescent Addiction Services, 327-3040; Adult Addiction and Intensive Outpatient Services, 327-3020; Family Treatment, 327-3029; and state-approved ACT Program, 327-3052.
Albuterol products - The In Home Rx Program makes available breathing medications and nebulizers to patients who have asthma, emphysema or COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) at no cost if they qualify. Call 1-800-344-5764 or visit www.inhomerx.com.
Alliance for the Mentally Ill - Meets 10 a.m. Thursday at the Providence Center, 906 Orange St., Classroom B. Provides support and information for kin and friends of people with severe mental illness, and recovering adults. Call 251-5122.
Bariatric surgery seminars - Free informational seminars are held the first Thursday of each month at 5:30 p.m. at St. Patrick Hospital Conference Rooms A, B, C. The program, which offers a surgical treatment for morbid obesity, includes preoperative evaluation as well as postoperative followup and three support groups each month. Call 329-5866.
Blood sugar screenings - Glucose (blood sugar) and hemoglobin A1-C screenings are available by appointment at Safescript Pharmacy, 705 S. Reserve St. Fees are $7 for glucose and $21 for the A1-C test and include a brief consultation, educational materials and doctor referral if necessary. Free blood-pressure readings also available on a walk-in basis. Call 541-7233.
Breast cancer survivor water fitness - Community Medical Center offers a warm-water pool class for breast cancer survivors to reduce lymphedema, improve general flexibility and strength, and increase endurance and circulation. Fee is $48 for six weeks. Call 327-4257 for class schedule and registration information.
Breast cancer support group - Meets every Tuesday from noon to 1 p.m. at the St. Francis Xavier Parish Center, 420 W. Pine St. Call 329-5655.
Cancer Prevention Coalition - The Missoula Area Chapter meets on the first Wednesday of each month. Call Susan at 549-9382 for meeting time and place.
Cancer programs - Call the American Cancer Society at 1-800-ACS-2345 for more information about these programs:
- "Road to Recovery" provides free transportation for cancer patients to their treatments and home again.
- "Reach to Recovery" offers visits by trained breast cancer survivor volunteers with newly diagnosed breast cancer patients.
- "Look Good Feel Better" teaches female cancer patients beauty techniques to enhance their appearance and self-image during chemotherapy and radiation treatments. Trained cosmetologists lead the free group sessions.
Cancer transportation - Montana women may qualify for no-cost transportation to a cancer center of their choice. Call the Women's Cancer Care Foundation at (406) 862-8820 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Cheerful Heart - Cancer patients who reside in Lake County and need non-medical help are urged to call Cheerful Heart, a local nonprofit organization located in Polson. Services include transportation to doctor appointments and treatment as well as errands, pet care and light household chores. Call and leave a message at 883-3070. Messages are returned three times each day. Donations may be mailed to Cheerful Heart, P.O. Box 688, Polson, MT 59860.
Cholesterol screening - Community Medical Center offers a walk-in cholesterol panel each weekday 5:30-10 a.m. and Saturday 7:30-10 a.m. Cost: $15. A physician's order is not needed and no appointment is necessary. A 10-hour fast (water permitted) is required. To participate go to the hospital's front reception desk. Call 327-4077 for more information.
Chronic wound care - St. Patrick Hospital's Outpatient Wound Care Center at 500 W. Broadway specializes in treating nonhealing wounds caused by diabetes, poor circulation, pressure or surgery. Call 329-5736.
CPR classes - St. Patrick Hospital and the International Heart Institute offer a full range of American Heart Association courses from Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers to Advanced Cardiac Life Support. Contact Mary Ann Zadick at 329-5613 or stop by the heart institute on the hospital's third floor.
Diabetes support - The following support groups and programs are available:
- Missoula Diabetes Support Group meets the third Tuesday of the month at 4:30 p.m. in the Wellness Center Conference Room at the St. Patrick Hospital Broadway Building (lobby level). No charge and no registration needed. For more information call 329-5781.
- Missoula Indian Center provides on-site blood sugar testing with a glucose monitor and quarterly immunizations, fasting blood sugar tests, lipid profiles and thyroid panels. Referrals to the diabetes self-management program also available. Call Kitty at 329-3373.
- Self-management classes at St. Patrick Hospital include individual appointments with a nurse and nutritionist. The classes are covered by Medicare, Medicaid and most private insurers. Payment plans and scholarships are available to those who qualify. St. Pat's also offers free diabetes glucose screening (overnight fast required), pre-diabetes prevention counseling, metabolic syndrome counseling, certified nurse diabetic educator visits for assessment and recommendation, a fitness center and water exercises classes. Call 329-5781 for more information.
- Community Medical Center's Diabetes Management Program offers individual and group sessions to help you manage your diabetes and enjoy a healthy lifestyle. Sessions are led by a nurse and dietitian certified in diabetes education. Physician referral required. Call 327-4325.
- Community Medical Center offers a pool class designed by a physical therapist for adults with diabetes to increase their level of activity in a fun and relaxed group setting. Call 327-4257 for more information.
Emphysema support - EFFORTS (Emphysema Foundation For Our Right to Survive) is an online, nonprofit support/advocacy group for people with COPD/emphysema. Log on to www.emphysema.net to learn more about the disease and how to live with it.
Fitness First - The YWCA, 1130 W. Broadway, offers a variety of fitness classes on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 6 to 7 a.m. and Tuesday and Thursday from 12:10 to 1 p.m. Cost is $18 a month for two classes a week, $23 a month for three classes per week, $3 per class for drop-ins or free for cancer survivors. Call 721-1090.
Free health exams - Women ages 50 to 64 who have no health insurance or insurance that will not pay for breast and cervical health exams, and who meet the necessary income guidelines, can receive free exams through the Partnership Health Center's Breast and Cervical Health Project. Call 523-4789 for an appointment.
Gambler therapy group - Meets on Wednesday from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Providence Center, 902 N. Orange St., on the ground floor (follow the signs). Cost is $5 per group. Call 327-3043 for information.
Glacier Ice Rink - Below is the daily schedule of activities. If you are interested in private rental of ice time or have other questions, call 728-0316 or visit www.glaciericerink.com.
- Public skating on Mondays, 3-5 p.m. ($1 day), Tuesdays from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 7:15 to 8:30 p.m. (Family Night), Wednesdays from 12:30 to 2:45 p.m., Thursdays from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 3 to 5 p.m., Fridays from 8:15 to 9:45 p.m. and 10 to 11 p.m. (adults only), Saturdays from 11:45 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. and 8 to 9:30 p.m., and Sundays from 2:30 to 5 p.m.
- Adult drop-in pickup hockey on Mondays, 12:45-2 p.m.; Tuesdays, 12:45-1:45 p.m.; Thursdays, 7:15-8:15 a.m.; and Fridays, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. and 12:45- 2 p.m.
- Young skaters drop-in program, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 2-3 p.m.
HOPE abc - Support group for parents of children with emotional and behavioral challenges meets Tuesdays, 6:30-8:30 p.m., at Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, 2512 Sunset Lane (off Reserve Street). Child care is provided. Call Melanie at 546-7006 for more information.
Main Street Pilates Studio - The studio offers group and individual classes. A Pilates Circuit class is starting soon. Call 541-2673.
Mall walkers - Meet on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, 9-10 a.m. at the Southgate Mall community room. No fee; all ages welcome.
Masters swimming - Workouts at the Missoula YMCA are coached Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Designed for fitness swimmers, triathletes and competitive swimmers, the sessions are open to all ages 19 and older, members or nonmembers. Register at the front desk. Call 721-9622 for more information.
Meditation sessions - Meetings are held in Polson every Monday from 7:30 to 9 p.m. at the Aware Wellness Center, 601 Fourth Ave. E., facilitated by Dr. Daniel H. Henning. Call 883-2040 for more information.
Missoula Birth Network - The group meets the second Tuesday of each month at 7 p.m. in the Missoula Public Library. The Missoula Birth and Pregnancy Resource maintains a community resource Web site contains information about pregnancy and birth, including natural birth, a listing of Missoula-area midwives and doulas and links to related topics. The address is www.missoulabirth.com. Call Heather Sundheim at 549-1701 or e-mail email@example.com.
Personal fitness assessments - St. Patrick Hospital Wellness Center offers the assessments - including body fat analysis, anthropometric measurements, aerobic fitness evaluation, muscular strength and endurance assessment, flexibility and goal setting - by appointment. Cost is $10 for nonmembers. Call 329-5895.
Power wheelchairs - Seniors citizens and the permanently disabled may qualify for electric wheelchairs at no cost for use in the home or independent living quarters. Call the Senior Wheels USA program at 1-800-246-6010; Miracle on Wheels at 1-800-749-8778; Senior Mobility Program at 1-800-451-0971; Independent Seniors at 1-800-383-8435; Three Wishes Inc. at 1-800-839-5715; or Wishes on Wheels at 1-800-823-5220. Medicare recipients who suffer from such conditions as arthritis, cardiovascular disease and respiratory disorders and have difficulty walking or propelling a standard wheelchair, may also be eligible for an electric wheelchair paid for by Medicare. Call Gregory at Angels Have Wheels, 1-800-810-2877, for more information.
Pregnancy exercise classes - "Water Mommas" classes are held at the Bitterroot Aquatic Center in Hamilton on Mondays at noon and Wednesdays at 6 p.m. Land classes are offered Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m. and Thursdays at 8:30 a.m. at Ballet Bitterroot in Corvallis. Call Misty Williams at 363-2570 to reserve a spot.
Prescription drug assistance - Safescript Pharmacy, 705 S. Reserve St., can help patients determine which programs may be available to them, depending on income and which medications they take. Call 541-7233 to make an appointment for this free service.
Senior exercise class - The Missoula Senior Citizens Center offers an exercise class that focuses on balance training, back strength and core conditioning through Pilates matwork every Tuesday and Thursday at 9 a.m. Fee: $1.25 per class. All ages welcome. For information call 880-BFIT, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.afitnesssolution.biz (click on specialty areas).
Tobacco-use cessation group - Quit for Life classes consist of five evening group sessions with a licensed counselor. Cost is $25 and includes a two-week supply of nicotine patches or gum. Call 329-5895 to register.
TOPS - Take Off Pounds Sensibly No. 428 meets at 10 a.m. Tuesday at the First Methodist Church, 300 E. Main St., lower level. Fees are $2 a month with a $20 annual fee. Call 543-4033 or 549-3706. Other TOPS meetings in the area include:
- No. 177, Monday, 6:30 p.m., Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, 2512 Sunset Lane; 251-4555.
- No. 525, Thursday, 6:30 p.m., D'ste Catholic Church, Charlo; Cindy, 273-5403.
- No. 535, Tuesday, 5:30 p.m., Mineral Community Hospital basement, Superior.
- No. 533, Monday, 12:30 p.m., Clark Fork Valley Hospital basement, Plains.
- No. 531, Tuesday, 6 p.m., Western Building Center, Plains.
- No. 316, Thursday, 8:30 a.m., Conner Methodist Church.
- No. 519, Wednesday, 2 p.m., 509 W. River Road, No. 4, Hamilton.
- No. 202, Friday, 11:15 a.m., Plains Church of God.
Walking group - Join Life in Balance Chiropractic, 121 Hickory St., for a weekly 20-30 minute walk/run on Thursday at 12:15 p.m. All fitness levels welcome. No cost to attend. Call 721-7161 for more information.
Wellness previews - Complimentary and preventive international wellness technologies presented the second and fourth Thursdays of the month from 7 to 8 p.m. Snacks and social time prior to the fourth Thursday preview starts at 6:30 p.m. Call Lynne at 543-7733 or 550-4355 for location, or e-mail email@example.com.
Yoga Fitness Center - The center, at 123 W. Alder St., offers a wide range of classes, including prenatal, gentle, noon, Hatha, Iyengar and Ashtanga. Sessions are available seven days a week. All classes are drop-in, and beginners are welcome. Class cards, valid for six months, are available for $6 per class ($5 for students).