No conclusions have been released in the investigation into the death of a 25-year-old Kalispell man whose body was found in Glacier National Park earlier this summer, but family and friends continue to seek answers.

Cody Lee Johnson’s body was found below The Loop off of Going-to-the-Sun Road on July 12, and an autopsy confirmed that he died in a fall.

However, the investigation into his death is ongoing.

Johnson had been missing since July 7. His wife, Jordan Rutledge, reportedly told police that he got into a dark car with Washington plates that night and never returned home.

No details about the investigation have been divulged.

Glacier Park spokeswoman Denise Germann said the park is cooperating with an FBI investigation into the incident, but said she couldn’t discuss specifics because it is ongoing.

Similarly, Patsy Speelman, the FBI’s Public Affairs and Community Outreach Specialist in Salt Lake City, wouldn’t divulge details.

“Due to the ongoing investigation, we are unable to release any details at this time. We do not have a projected completion date, as each case is unique and requires thorough investigation,” Speelman wrote in response to questions sent via email.

Family and friends are convinced Johnson was murdered, said Tracey Maness, a family friend who has worked with Johnson’s mother, Sherry Johnson, and who knew the family before they moved to Montana from California in 2002.


Johnson was an “all-American kid,” who worked hard and loved cars and four-wheeling, Maness said.

You have free articles remaining.

Become a Member

He was married the week before he disappeared, she said.

“He was very excited about his wedding. He was very in love with Jordan,” she said.

“And he was really excited about starting the next chapter in his life,” she added.

When he went missing, those who knew him best knew something was wrong. Even after his body was found, questions remained, Maness said.

“He clearly did not walk from his house at Kalispell all the way up to The Loop and then jump off a cliff,” she said.

“Somebody drove Cody to Glacier Park and then left without him,” Maness said, adding that, to her knowledge, no abandoned vehicle was found.

While she understands that investigations are sensitive and take time, the lack of answers to date is frustrating, she said.

“Probably the most frustrating thing is the utter, complete, 100 percent lack of anything coming from the authorities,” she said.

Meanwhile, an anonymous Twitter account, going by the handle of @whoKilledCody, is prompting people to share any information they might have about the circumstances of Johnson’s death.

Maness, too, said people should share any information they have with authorities.

“I want people to know that Cody did not deserve to die, and I want people to please, please come forward if they know anything,” she said.

Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Reporter Alice Miller can be reached at 523-5251 or at alice.miller@missoulian.com.

You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.