Subscribe for 17¢ / day
fire wildfire stockimage flames

Stock image

A cabin fire early Saturday that resulted in burn injuries to a man and dog at the Turah Store and Campground was caused by a propane leak.

The male occupant awoke just before 2 a.m. and attempted to light a cigarette, a news release from Missoula Rural Fire District said Tuesday. That ignited leaking gas behind the kitchen oven/stove top, causing an explosion and fire. The 400-square foot cabin is considered a total loss.

The man was taken to the Turah Store before fire responders arrived. He was treated and transported by ambulance to a Missoula hospital. His condition is unknown. Firefighters located the dog under the cabin. It suffered burns and was transported to a veterinary clinic for treatment.

A command unit, four structure engines, four water tenders, a ladder truck and 19 firefighters responded to the blaze, which was under control within an hour.

The cabin’s pre-fire value was $20,000. Several recreational vehicles were saved and undamaged, as was another cabin, two outbuildings and several vehicles and pieces of machinery.

The release said the building was insured. It’s unknown if the contents were.

Subscribe to Daily Headlines

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.
You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.

Mineral County, veterans issues

Outlying communities, transportation, history and general assignment reporter at the Missoulian