Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
2 men charged with kidnapping in death of Sidney teacher

2 men charged with kidnapping in death of Sidney teacher

  • Updated
  • 0

SIDNEY - Two men have been arraigned on charges of aggravated kidnapping in connection with the death of Sidney High School teacher Sherry Arnold and are being held in Williston, N.D., Sidney Police Chief Frank DiFonzo said Saturday morning.

Officials at the Williams County jail in Williston confirmed that two men are being held on aggravated kidnapping charges related to the case but declined to release their names, citing an ongoing investigation by the FBI.

A jail official said that they have been instructed by the FBI to not release any information on the two men.

FBI spokeswoman Debbie Bertram said that any information on the arraignments, including the men's names, would have to come "through the appropriate court, if that information is available."

Investigators in North Dakota are continuing to search the area and gather evidence in the case. DiFonzo called the rumors circulated Friday night that Arnold may have been killed in a hit-and-run type accident "all kinds of speculation."

DiFonzo said he expects the two men to be extradited to Sidney from Williston at some point. He didn't want to speculate on a timeline because it was a federal case.

On Friday, officials announced that a 47-year-old man was in custody in Williston, N.D., and 22-year-old man was being questioned in South Dakota after a call came in to a tip line set up for information on Arnold's disappearance.

While investigators did not confirm it on Friday, Arnold's family and the Sidney school district said they had been informed that she was dead.

Arnold went missing on Jan. 7 during a morning run. County law enforcement officials, emergency responders and hundreds of citizens spent several days scouring the Sidney area looking for any sign of her.

The same day she went missing, searchers found what investigators and Arnold's family have confirmed to be one of her shoes, the only publicly acknowledged clue in the case.

Arnold was a popular math teacher at Sidney High School and a longtime resident of the community who lived there with her husband, Gary Arnold, and their five children combined from previous marriages.

After joining the search at mid-week, the FBI said Arnold may have been abducted, although officials also said it was one of many possibilities under investigation.

Officials have remained tight-lipped about information in the case.

A tip line, which DiFonzo said received "dozens and dozens of tips," was set up to gather information and on Friday, it appeared to pay off.

"Today, as a result of a tip, we're able to announce that a significant breakthrough has been made," DiFonzo said at a Friday press conference.

At that meeting, he said that a 47-year-old man was in custody in Williston, N.D., and that a 22-year-old man was being questioned in Rapid City, S.D.

"We want to be together as a family," Karen Arnold Truax, Gary Arnold's daughter who lives in St. Paul, Minn., said on Friday. "We appreciate everything that everyone did to help us in this search. We are so heartbroken that this is the outcome. We just sincerely appreciate all the love and support that continues to come from the community."

On Friday evening, the community held a memorial service for Arnold at the high school gymnasium. Several hundred people -- friends, family, current and former students and local religious leaders attended.

"She was an amazing math teacher," former student Ashley Cooley said at the memorial. "She loved what she did and she loved her students. She had an amazing heart."


You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

  • Updated

SIDNEY - Standing in close knots on the floor of the Sidney High School Gymnasium Friday night, Sherry Arnold's students tried - for the first time, really - to find some way to express their grief.

News had broken only that morning that Arnold, missing since early Saturday, had died and that law enforcement officials had detained possible suspects in her death. The students, along with members of the community, religious leaders and Arnold's husband Gary Arnold, gathered at a hastily organized memorial service at the high school to remember Sherry.

  • Updated

SIDNEY - Law enforcement officials are offering few details about the death of Sidney High School teacher Sherry Arnold, or the two men possibly involved with her disappearance.

At a press conference late Friday afternoon, Sidney Police Chief Frank DiFonzo announced that the investigation was moving rapidly and declined to give details or answer questions about the case.

A 47-year-old man was in custody in Williston, N.D., DiFonzo said. A second man, 22, was being held for questioning in Rapid City, S.D.

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alert

Breaking News