Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
Idaho man faces $9.9M fine for racist, harassing robocalls
0 Comments
editor's pick topical alert

Idaho man faces $9.9M fine for racist, harassing robocalls

  • 0
{{featured_button_text}}

KALISPELL — An Idaho man is facing a $9.9 million fine from the Federal Communications Commission after he sent racist, anti-Semitic and harassing robocalls to tens of thousands of phones across eight states.

Scott D. Rhodes' calls in 2018 targeted Black and Jewish politicians, a journalist, an Iowa community grieving the killing of a college student and the murder case against an avowed white supremacist who drove into a crowd in Charlottesville, Virginia, the Daily Inter Lake reported Wednesday.

The FCC announced the fine on Jan. 14 and said Rhodes repeatedly violated the Truth in Caller ID Act by manipulating the calls to make them seem as if they came from local phone numbers.

Ajit Pai, who stepped down as the FCC's chairman last week, said the law clearly bans spoofed robocalls "used with the intent to defraud, cause harm or cheat recipients" and that Rhodes' calls marked "new levels of egregiousness."

Among many other things, the calls Rhodes sent included a recording of Adolf Hitler and directed listeners to his podcast where he ranted about Jews, Muslims and other people of color. Calls also went to Charlottesville, Virginia, conveying a baseless conspiracy theory about the death of a woman amid the murder trial of a white supremacist who drove into a crowd in 2017.

Rhodes, 51, has been given 30 days to pay the fine. If he does not, the FCC said it could refer the case to the Department of Justice.

In his response to the commission's findings, he complained of "politically motivated gross overreach of FCC authority."

Rhodes did not immediately return an email requesting comment from the Daily Inter Lake on Tuesday.

Biden Administration Revives Efforts to Put Harriet Tubman on the $20 Bill. Joe Biden’s Treasury Department has revived efforts to make Harriet Tubman the face of the new $20 bill. . White House press secretary Jen Psaki confirmed the news, saying they were currently “exploring ways to speed up that effort.” . It’s important that our [money] reflect the history and diversity of our country and Harriet Tubman’s image gracing the new $20 note would certainly reflect that, Jen Psaki, via Complex. In addition to swapping Andrew Jackson’s image for Tubman’s, production of new notes will involve anti-counterfeiting technology and other security measures. This will require a new high-speed printing facility, which will be ready by 2025. The Tubman initiative was initially launched during Barack Obama’s administration, following a 10-month review that included public input. . The new note was slated to be revealed in August 2020, commemorating the 100th anniversary of the 19th Amendment. . However, the initiative was suspended until 2028 during Donald Trump’s time in office due to technical issues. Trump was also reportedly a big fan of Jackson and referred to the Tubman initiative as “pure political correctness” prior to being elected president

0 Comments
You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.
1
0
0
0
6

Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alert

Breaking News