{{featured_button_text}}
LaBenza Charlo

LaBenza Charlo, 18, has been arrested on a warrant. Authorities believe she may have been involved with a double homicide in Missoula on Oct. 18.

Prosecutors have leveled a drug charge against the 18-year-old woman arrested Wednesday in connection with a double homicide two weeks ago in Missoula.

LaBenza Charlo is facing an attempted criminal possession charge, filed by prosecutors on Oct. 24. The penalty for such a conviction is a maximum five years and $50,000 fine. 

Charging documents allege Charlo was present when Preston Rossbach, 18, and Jonathan Whitworth, 27, went into a hotel room in downtown Missoula on Oct. 18 looking for drugs. When they reportedly didn't find any, the documents allege that Whitworth shot three people inside, killing two, Rossbach reportedly told police.

Both Whitworth and Rossbach are charged with homicide. 

According to Charlo's charging documents, she had been in contact with another woman about purchasing heroin earlier that day. Surveillance footage from the motel reportedly shows a woman matching Charlo's description outside of the woman's motel room at 9:23 p.m. Law enforcement reportedly found social media communications between them around that same time.

The woman later told authorities she was going to sell heroin to Charlo, according to the affidavit in Charlo's case. 

Subscribe to Breaking News

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Surveillance footage also showed Charlo, Rossback and Whitworth returning to the motel room later that night and entering the woman's motel room, where two people were fatally shot and another man was seriously wounded.

Those killed are Jason Flink and Megan McLaughlin. Kaleb Williams survived the shooting after he was transported to the hospital. The woman who told police she was going to sell heroin to Charlo, Raven LaMere, does not appear to have been present in the hotel room during the shooting, based on information in charging documents in all three cases. 

At her initial appearance on Friday, prosecutors requested Justice of the Peace Landee Holloway release Charlo on her own recognizance. Deputy County Attorney Jason Marks said after the hearing he considered Charlo a relatively low risk to public safety. 

Charlo requested she be appointed a public defender in the case. 

Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.
You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.
0
0
1
0
1