Subscribe for 17¢ / day

BILLINGS - A man was arrested without incident after a nearly four-hour standoff at a South Side home Monday.

James Robert Dill, 31, was found in the attic of a home at 315 S. 35th St. by the Billings Police Department’s SWAT team before 6 p.m.

No injuries were reported.

Lt. Kevin Iffland said that at 2:36 p.m., law enforcement approached Dill to arrest him on a state probation violation when he went back into the single-story white house and either locked or blocked the door.

Dill was possibly armed, said Chief Rich St. John, although he was not armed at the time of his arrest and officers did not recover any weapons at the house.

A woman who was inside the home got out safely a short time after the incident started.

Police also arrested a second man, 49-year-old Richard Romero, on a probation violation.

He was driving a vehicle matching the description of a vehicle that had previously been used by Dill, according to police. The vehicle was found parked on the 300 block of South 35th Street.

Officers approached the house and Dill attempted to flee the residence, but he was unsuccessful and went back inside, according to a news release issued after the standoff.

While some officers blocked off the area around the house, others initially tried to contact the suspect, yelling through windows for him to answer his telephone.

When that didn’t work, a police negotiator attempted to use a throw phone — a durable, portable phone that can be tossed through a window that connects directly to the negotiator — to speak with the man, also without success.

Meanwhile, members of the department’s SWAT team waited nearby before using a loudspeaker on the department’s Ballistic Engineered Armored Response vehicle, telling the man once again to answer the phone or give them a sign he was inside and could hear them.

When those efforts didn’t work, a tactical team entered the building with a K-9 and after a search found Dill in the attic.

Police blocked off 35th between Third and Fourth avenues south during the standoff.

In addition to the BEAR, the BPD had its Special Operations vehicle at the scene.

A probation and parole officer and U.S. Marshal, along with Billings Fire Department and American Medical Response crews, also responded.

Dill is on probation after being convicted in 2007 of felony criminal endangerment and criminal mischief in Broadwater County, according to Department of Corrections records.

He also has a 2004 conviction in Cascade County for felony theft.

Dill is also accused of forcing his way into a Billings home in August attacking his ex-girlfriend and her twin sister.

Gazette reporters Eddie Gregg and Mike Ferguson contributed to this report.

You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.