The University of Montana and Missoula community will celebrate progress toward sustainability with Earth Week events Friday through Saturday, April 22-30.
Here are some highlights:
April 22 - Earth Day
• UM’s SustainaGANZA, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., UM Oval and UC – exhibits, activities, awards, treats
• UM Dining Garden Grand Opening and group bike ride, 11 a.m., meet at the Grizzly Bear Statue. Stay for a Farm-to-College lunch at the Iron Griz.
• One world – Act on Climate! rally cosponsored by Montana Conservation Voters Education Fund, MontPIRG, the National Wildlife Federation, Sierra Club, Moms Clean Air Force, and Montana Mountain Mamas, noon-1 p.m. Caras Park. Speakers: Heidi West, Missoula City Council member and Amy Cilimburg, Climate Smart Missoula.
• Sustainability Bike Ride – bike tour of Missoula sustainable businesses. 10:30-noon; meet at UM Griz Statue.
• Earth Week Celebration in Missoula at Caras Park, noon-6 p.m., and 35th Birthday of Exhibits, activities, music, food, fun.
• Giant Garage Sale at UM – recycle stuff. 9 a.m.-1:30 p.m. UM Parking Garage.
• Dig Day – help 1000 New Gardens of Missoula put food gardens into the yards of Missoulians. Noon; meet at Kiwanis Park and divide into teams to work on gardens around town. Bring water and wear clothes you don't mind getting dirty. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Reduce Waste and Plastic Pollution by Transforming Businesses from Linear to Circular Economics. Free public lecture by UM alum Stiv Wilson (of "Story of Stuff," 7 p.m., UM Gallagher Business Building, Room 106. Reception before lecture (5:30 p.m. at Buttercup Cafe) has limited space.
• Bike/Walk Summit in Missoula (reduced cost for students)
• Earth Service Day. ECO EXPO (Missoula Independent) at UM's University Center from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Workshops, panels, exhibits on sustainability.
• Clark Fork River Cleanup. The cleanup begins with a volunteer check-in at 9:30 a.m. at Caras Park. Between 10 a.m. and noon, volunteers will fan out on foot and in boats across 15 miles of riverbank in and around Missoula to collect trash and recyclables. Gloves, bags and bus transportation will be provided free-of-charge. Afterward, participants will be treated to a free barbecue and prize drawing, and “trash trophies” will be awarded to those who collect the most unusual items.
• ECOPENTATHALON, 9:50 a.m.-5 p.m. Bike to multiple service events, working an hour at each. Need water, work gloves, helmet and bike. Lunch provided. Meet at 9:50 a.m. on Kim Williams Trail by Van Buren footbridge.
• Benefit for the Cycles of Change fundraiser. For more information, email email@example.com or call 406-243-5153.
• Missoula Bike & Gear Swap. Benefits Free Cycles/BWAM. Missoula County Fairgrounds. Drop off April 30; sale May 1, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
• Other events throughout the week include garden tours, food-related workshops, films at the International Wildlife Film Festival and more. For a complete list of Earth Week events at UM, visit umt.edu/conservationcalendar. A schedule of events in Missoula and western Montana also is online at umt.edu/earthweekmissoula.