Matthew Daniel Allen

MISSOULA - Matthew Daniel Allen, 21, will be remembered as a loving and caring son, brother and friend. He died Friday, April 21, 2000, as the result of injuries from a motorcycle accident. Even his safe driving practices and the wearing of a helmet couldn't prevent this tragedy. A lifelong resident of Missoula, Matthew was always quick with a smile and had an uncanny ability to connect with everyone he met.

Matthew was born on Feb. 24, 1979, to Danny and Marjorie Allen. He was an outgoing and active boy who attended Russell Elementary and Meadow Hill Middle School. Matt was involved in Boy Scouts, YMCA soccer, basketball, judo and Mount Sentinel Little League.

As a member of Atonement Lutheran Church, he attended Flathead Lutheran Bible camp every summer as a boy. He was active in church activities, taught vacation Bible school and attended the ELCA Youth Gathering in Atlanta in 1995. He was baptized and confirmed in his faith.

He loved being the center of attention and was a natural entertainer, keeping children and friends amused with magic tricks and stories. He kept his parents and little brother Paul laughing and busy wondering what Matt would do next.

He appreciated the wonder and grace of Montana's environment, and as a child he began his lifelong love of the outdoors and learned to become an expert hunter and fisherman. He passed his knowledge and respect on to hundreds of young children whom he taught through the Montana Hunter Education Program.

Matthew's respect for law enforcement began when he became active in the Missoula County Sheriff's Cadet Program. He worked and learned from many local officers who will remember him as a smart young man who cared about the law. Matthew was a model airplane enthusiast and was a member of the Big Sky Thunderbirds. As a member of the Missoula Hang Gliding Association, Matthew loved "hanging" with his glider friends.

Matthew graduated from Sentinel High School in 1997. He played the saxophone and traveled with his fellow band members to perform at Disneyland. He attended Northern Idaho College for one year and was currently enrolled at the University of Montana. Throughout high school and college, Matthew worked for several local businesses. He was employed by Tidyman's at the time of his death. Always an outstanding worker, Matthew became close and maintained relationships with co-workers and management of Bi Lo Foods, Ace Hardware and Thomas Plumbing.

His love of music also filled his busy schedule and he always found time to play his guitar and fill the house with beautiful sound. Matthew was generous with his time and wit and always found time to help others.

Matthew is survived by his mother Marjorie Allen, father Dan Allen, stepmother Laurel Allen, brother Paul Allen and stepbrother Justin Stevens of Missoula; his grandmother Donna Brewer of Missoula; uncles George Allen, Mike Allen and Jeff Prochet of Missoula; aunts Crystal Peters of Shelby, Patty Cottrill of Garfield, Wash., Maggie Waldvogel of Missoula, Michelle Prochet of Mattawa, Wash., Kathleen Ledgerwood of Omak, Wash., and Barbara Smith of Seattle. He also leaves behind many cousins and extended family members.

The world is a better place because Matthew touched so many lives. The memory of his generous smile, wit and loving touch will remain with us all for ever.

A memorial service celebrating Matthew's life will be held at Atonement Lutheran Church at 1 p.m. on Monday, April 24. Cremation committal services will be conducted at a later date. Matthew continued his gifts of life as an organ donor.

Remembrances and memorials can be made to Atonement Lutheran Church, 2205 34th St., Missoula; Missoula Hang Gliding Association, 1423 S. Fourth St. W., Missoula; or the Montana Hunter Education Program of the Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks.

Arrangements are under the care and direction of Garden City Funeral Home and Crematory.

George Robert Putzker

ALBERTON - George Robert Putzker, born Dec. 9, 1917, died Wednesday, April 19, 2000, of natural causes.

He was born at Chico Hot Springs in the upper Yellowstone Valley after his father had driven a team and wagon from their homestead on Spring Creek, across the frozen river to get to the doctor at Chico. His mother was ill and never fully recovered after the birth. George was raised by caring families in the area until he could return to the homestead. His first language was Slovenian. He loved the Paradise Valley, elk hunting at Chimney Rock and ranching.

He served in the 475th fighter group, 432nd squadron during World War II, seeing action in the South Pacific (New Guinea). He talked mostly of Australia where he got to go on leave. He avoided discussing his action in New Guinea except to describe the natives waving masks about the tall grasses to scare them away and of surviving a bombing raid by sprinting from a jeep he had hidden under as it soon took a direct hit.

He was a master electrician, known in Livingston for his truck that said "Let George Do It" and in the factories in East Helena and Missoula where he worked in the smelter, the sugar factory and the plywood/particleboard factories. He always ranched on the side, raising cattle, sheep and horses. He loved the mothering ability of his "Beefmaster" cattle.

He married Juanita Montana Huppert in Livingston, a school marm he apparently impressed by riding over the ridge from East Fork Mill Creek to the Mountainapolis School on Mill Creek. He rode Tennessee Walkers that he was training for a wealthy Easterner named Mrs. Hill. He loved to dance.

They lived west of Alberton for the last 30 years, along the beautiful Clark Fork River. He took pleasure in the out-of-doors. He knew his health was failing but told us often "I'm lucky. I got to see the country when it was fresh."

He was preceded in death by his brother, John Putzker, and by brothers, Robert Keough and Put Keough.

He is survived by his wife, Juanita Montana; two children, Ellen Childress of Plains, and Robert George of Stockett; three sisters, Helen Nelson-Coseik and Mary Ashley of Livingston, and Louise Smith of Brainerd, Minn.; grandchildren Sarah Joanne and Kathleen Montana Putzker, and Jenny and Robert Childress; and numerous nieces and nephews.

He will be missed by all who knew him.

Memorial services will be held at 1 p.m., Thursday, April 27, at the Methodist Church in Alberton. A reception will follow at the Alberton Senior Citizen's Center.

Arrangements are under the direction of the Malletta Family of Funeral Homes, Squire Chapel, 3035 S. Russell.

Edward David Appelhans

MISSOULA - Edward David Appelans, 52, passed away on Good Friday, April 21, 2000, at St. Patrick Hospital.

He was born March 9, 1948, in Chicago to William and Elizabeth Appelhans.

He is survived by his father; three children, Johanna Nottingham, Kenan Appelhans, and Martin Appelhans; his loving siblings, Kenneth and Alice, William and Carolyn, and Donna Appelhans and Elizabeth Yonovich; his sons-in-laws, Justin Nottingham and Andy Yonovich; daughter-in-law Becky Weaver; grandson, Preston; ex-wife Bonnie Watson; and many other friends and loved ones.

Memorial services will be held Monday, April 24, at 6 p.m. at Garden City Funeral Home. Please come celebrate Ed's life with us.

Mary Eva Leggett

MISSOULA - Mary Eva Leggett, 59, passed away at St. Patrick Hospital in Missoula on Thursday, April 20, 2000.

Mary was born June l, 1940 in Niarada to John and Hazel Search. She married Vernie H. Leggett on Sept. 26, 1964.

She is survived by her husband Vernie H. Leggett of Missoula; two sisters, Marjorie Walters of Kent, Wash., and Hazel Rada of Cascade; a brother, Robert Search of Whitefish; and too many nieces and nephews to list.

She was preceded in death by a sister, Vesta Search, and a brother, Ira Search.

Graveside services will be held Tuesday, April 25, at 1 p.m. at the Niarada Family Cemetery. Arrangements are under the care and direction of Garden City Funeral Home.

Art Solon

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - Art Solon, 50, was born in Rapid City, S.D., on July 6, 1949. A resident of New Mexico since 1966, Mr. Solon died Monday, April 17, 2000.

He is survived by his mother, Joan Solon of Colorado Springs, Colo.; son Michael Solon, daughter Emma Blair Solon, former spouse Brett G. Solon, all of Albuquerque; brothers and sisters David Solon and wife Connie of Colorado Springs, Mary Jo Solon and husband Will Gooden of Las Cruces, N.M., James Solon and wife Elizabeth of Pasadena, Calif., Paul Solon and wife Ann Laurenson of San Francisco, Susan Solon Emmons and husband Michael Emmons of Pueblo, Colo., and Katie Solon-Halbach and husband Andreas Halbach of Vienna, Austria; and many aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews.

Mr. Solon was preceded in death by his father Pat Solon and brother Michael Solon.

He attended Loyola High School in Missoula and graduated from Del Norte High School in Albuquerque in 1967. Mr. Solon graduated from UNM and the UNM Law School, and practiced law in Albuquerque for many years. He was a loyal supporter of Notre Dame football (Go Irish), as well as an active supporter of Lobo football and basketball. A former American Legion third baseman in Missoula, Mr. Solon coached his son's little league teams.

Mass will be celebrated Tuesday at 10 a.m., at Our Lady of Fatima Catholic Church, 4020 Lomas N.E., Albuquerque, with Father Vidal Martinez, Celebrant. Interment will follow at Mount Calvary Cemetery.

Pallbearers will be David Solon, James Solon, Paul Solon, Matthew Emmons, Michael Emmons, Michael Solon, Max Halbach and Clovis Acosta. Honorary pallbearers will be Will Gooden, Michael Emmons and Andreas Halbach.

Friends are warmly invited to attend a visitation at French Mortuary, 1111 University Boulevard N.E., in Albuquerque, Monday from 6-8 p.m.

Should friends desire, contributions can be made to any local hospice organization.

Jack G. Brower

MISSOULA - Jack G. Brower, 58, of Missoula, passed away on Friday, April 21, 2000, at St. Patrick Hospital.

He was born on June 12, 1941. He spent the first 20 years of his life in Doon, Iowa. He then entered the U.S. Air Force and served for four years. Afterwards, he became a truck driver.

He is survived by his son Terry of Clifton, Colo.; mother Bernice Lorenzen of Sioux Falls, S.D.; two sisters, Karla Nagel of Sioux Falls and Rhonda Dennis of Bullhead City, Ariz.; three brothers, Joe and Jeff of Sioux Falls and Kevin of Palm Springs Calif.; three grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews.

Memorial services will be held at a later date. Arrangements are under the care and direction of Garden City Funeral Home and Crematory.

Zandra Rene Lafley

ST. IGNATIUS - "Pretty Girl" Zandra Rene Lafley, 13, of Kent, Wash., formerly of Arlee, passed away Friday in Kent from injuries sustained in a pedestrian/train accident.

A traditional wake will begin Sunday at 6 p.m. at the Longhouse in St. Ignatius. Rosary will be recited Monday at 8 p.m. at the Longhouse, with the wake closing beginning at 1 p.m. Tuesday at the Longhouse. Mass of the Resurrection will be celebrated Tuesday at 2 p.m. in the St. Ignatius Catholic Mission with interment following in the Jocko Catholic Cemetery.

Arrangements are under the care and direction of Foster and Durgeloh Funeral Home of St. Ignatius.

Matthew Mike Marich

THOMPSON FALLS - Matthew Mike "Matt" Marich, 88, a longtime resident of Whitepine and Thompson Falls, passed away of natural causes on Thursday, April 20 at Clark Fork Valley Nursing Home in Plains.

He was born on Oct. 15, 1911, in Butte, the son of Mike and Stojka Marich. The family moved from Butte to Whitepine in 1917 where they farmed. Matt attended Whitepine grade school.

He married Velma Eley in 1947. She preceded him in death in 1948.

Matt worked for the Civilian Conservation Corps and at a silver mine in Idaho before going to work at Brown's Sawmill in Thompson Falls. He also farmed at Whitepine until 1964 when he sold the farm and moved to Thompson Falls with his mother. He retired from the mill in 1973. In 1991 he moved into the Lion's Manor in Thompson Falls where he lived until 1995 when he became a resident of Clark Fork Valley Nursing Home.

Matt was a 50-year member of the Eagles Lodge. He also belonged to the Whitepine Grange. He enjoyed cards, bingo, hunting and baseball. He played baseball in Thompson Falls for many years and was a member of the championship team of the Flathead League in 1947.

He was preceded in death by his wife Velma in 1948, his father Mike in 1938, his mother Stojka in 1977 and his brother Marcus in 1998.

Survivors include his sister-in-law, Beverly Marich of Thompson Falls; his niece Betty Kaldahl and her family of Missoula; and his nephew, Mike and wife Kay Marich and their family of Salt Lake City.

He was "Uncle Matt" to many, many children over the years.

Visitation will be Friday, April 28, from 4-7 p.m. at Coffelt-Bunch Funeral Chapel in Thompson Falls. Graveside services will be held on Saturday, April 29, at 11 a.m. at Whitepine Cemetery with Pastor Gaylund Olson of the Community Congregational Church officiating.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Thompson Falls Food Bank or to the charity of the donor's choice.

You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.