Subscribe for 17¢ / day

William Joseph Jarvis got himself in hot water late Saturday night when he showed up at downtown Missoula adult store dressed in women's clothing and allegedly tried to shoplift several items.

But the 40-year-old Missoula man saw the temperature rise even higher when he was pulled over in his car a short time later by Missoula police officers who charged him with his fifth drunken driving offense.

Jarvis appeared Monday in Missoula Justice Court where he was charged with felony DUI, for having four or more similar convictions. Jarvis also was charged with misdemeanor counts of driving with a suspended license, failure to provide insurance, theft and obstructing a peace officer.

According to court documents, Jarvis first drew the attention of clerks at Fantasy for Adults, at 201 E. Main St., at about 11:15 p.m. dressed in a black leather minidress, a lacy black top and black fishnet stockings. When a clerk went to a store viewing room to check on Jarvis, she saw him urinating on the floor and ordered him to leave the premises.

On his way out of the store, Jarvis reportedly propositioned the clerk and allegedly grabbed some adult items from a display case near the door. When the clerk asked Jarvis to return the items, he allegedly struggled with her for a moment before dropping them on the floor and walking out of the store.

When police arrived, witnesses told them that Jarvis had gotten into a gray Nissan passenger car and driven west on East Main. A short time later, Officer Shawn Paul observed a car driven by a bald man spinning its tires at the intersection of Woody and West Main streets before turning onto Orange Street.

Paul followed the car as it turned back onto West Front Street and pulled it over. Upon looking in the vehicle, Paul saw a six pack of Hornsby's hard cider in the back seat. Jarvis appeared to be passed out behind the steering wheel, Paul reported. When Jarvis finally got out of the car, Paul said he noticed a "strong odor of alcohol, dilated eyes, slurred speech and continued swaying," court records stated.

Jarvis allegedly then gave Paul a fake name and date of birth and refused to perform sobriety tests and provide a breath sample. Upon further investigation, officers determined Jarvis' identity and the fact that he previously had been convicted of four DUIs.

In court Monday, Jarvis, wearing standard orange jail coveralls, told Justice of the Peace John Odlin that he would not be retaining the services of an attorney.

"I don't want to waste your city's money," Jarvis told Odlin.

Odlin informed Jarvis that he would not be wasting the city's money and that he had a constitutional right to be represented by an attorney. But Jarvis refused assistance and tried unsuccessfully to enter a plea to the charges.

Odlin set Jarvis' next court appearance for June 19 and set his bail at $20,000.

Reporter Gary Jahrig can be reached at 523-5259 or at

You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.